Sins of Night: A Dark Ops Novel

One

   I can do this. Mack focused on her opponent as she took her stance. All the training endured throughout the year came down to this fight. The opposition is her partner Riley Flynn. He knew her weaknesses, her strengths, hell he knew everything about her. She could feel the sweat roll down her forehead as she studied every movement Riley made. The way his limbs tensed and relaxed reminded her of a cobra waiting to strike. “Come and get me darling.” He spoke, his thick southern draw ringing in her ears. Riley wasn't what she would call uber hot, but he was nice to look at. Maybe six two, six four at the most. Slender but athletic with arms you just wanted to have wrapped around you and a ass that would make a pair of jeans cry for more. Mack and Riley has been partners for the past year, paired up by the heads of the division. Mack was recruited straight out of college for this special task force called Dark Ops or DO as they call it. Their mission, to protect the innocents from anything dangerous. If she only knew what she was in for before she agreed to join. “Mack, they are watching.” His whisper jolted her focus back to attention. I can do this. He's just a big oak tree ready to fall over. She took a deep breath and grinned. In an instant, she jabbed her right arm out trying to grab him. Riley grinned back blocking her attack. For someone so tall, he moved fluidly around her. She didn't wait for him to stop moving this time. No. If she did, he would have her face down on the mat. She spun towards him, her lips curving up into a smirk as he flew back.

“Riley, you are supposed to make me look good remember?” He laughed his annoying laugh. She swore he sounded like a hyena when he laughed. Mack's assault continued, each kick connecting its mark on his chest and legs. Now she was getting cocky. Riley's punch connected with her cheek causing her to fall flat on her back with a loud thud. Damn, I should have seen that coming. He moved swiftly straddling her chest and pinning her hands over her      head. “Do you give Mack?” His green eyes lit up as he looked into her eyes. She never noticed how green they really were. They reminded her of a deep forest color. Chewing her swollen lip, she laid there and thought for a moment. “Not on your life Riley.” She rolled her hips up tossing him over her head to his back. He hit the mat so hard she heard his breath whoosh out from him. Quickly, Mack jumped up and grabbed his arm twisting it hard making him roll to his stomach. She pulled his arm so hard, the sound of the sickening pop in his shoulder rang throughout the room. Riley roared in pain and tapped his other hand on the mat signaling he gave up. YES!

 Mack stood up grinning at him. He rolled over looking up at her. “Damn Mack, you didn't have to break my shoulder. I know I was showing off but damn.” She could see the pain in his face as she leaned down to help him up. He moved slowly, tears staining his cheek. Wow that is the first time I have ever seen any emotion from him. Getting up on his feet, he grabbed his shoulder. I'm so sorry Riley. Sometimes I don't know my own strength.” Shit, now I feel bad. She looked up to the balcony and saws the heads of the division nodding in agreement. No doubt in approval of what just transpired. “Mackela, my office in twenty minuets.” A voice rang through the room. That was Jack Ramos, the director of D.O. Division. He was a good buy but always about work. We believe he would be less strict if he had a woman to take his mind off the job. She nodded and turned to Riley. “I hope it's good news. Are you going to be okay?” She whispered to him as she moved closer. “Don't worry kid, I'll be fine. Besides, I let you get the best of me.” He laughed and walked through the doors to the medic's office. She shook her head. He is so full of himself. I will knock him harder off his perch. With a laugh, she picked up her sweatshirt and walked through the doors leading to the ladies locker room. Twenty minuets? What the hell am I a cheetah? I can't even pick out something to wear in that short of time. That's not even enough time for a shower.

        She sighed grabbing a towel and walked over to the row of sinks. I guess this will have to do. She moved quickly washing up the best she could. She did not want to be late. Even if her arm was chopped off, she would still arrive on time. Grabbing a scrunchie, she twisted her hair into a tight bun and pulls on fresh clothes. Looking back in the mirror, she frowned. God I need a vacation!