"I'm heading back first. Gary, take the rest of the kills to Theo. Have him butcher the meat before handing it out to everyone," Ryker ordered, bending to swipe his backpack with one hand.

Ryker turned his back on his enforcers and walked the rest of the way home. Tonight, they traveled a little farther than usual. Ryker needed to work off some tension.

Mary has started her new job at the restaurant two days ago. Now, they barely see each other. They both leave their home at different times. They both return at different times. It shouldn't bother him so much, but he was bothered by it. Yet he wasn't willing to approach her. Not yet. He didn't want her to feel like he was hovering. Ryker wanted to give her a chance to become independent and become comfortable with the pack.

His fingers tightened around the backpack. His eyes staring ahead as he trudged through the woods.

"Ryker," Abraham said from behind him before running to catch up.

When he reached Ryker's side, Abraham slowed his pace.

"So, everyone has been talking. They're wondering about your relationship with Mary. What are we supposed to say?" Abraham questioned.

"Tell them to fuck off?" Ryker growled irritably.

Abraham chuckled, "You know, it isn't just to satisfy their own curiosity. Maybe by stating your claim, unmated males would not think she is available. Know what I mean?"

Ryker remained silent. Apart of him wanted to announce it. It would avoid any conflicts. However, he knew if announced it—it would drive away from the only wall that he has up. The wall he built up since Lottie.

"Remember when I told you about Lottie?" Ryker asked.

"You told me you thought she was the one."

Ryker nodded his head. The calmness of the night helped ease his agitated heart and mind. Sighing, he ran his fingers through his hair and looked up at the sky. Abraham knew where Ryker's thoughts were.

When he opened his heart to Lottie and announced that he had chosen Lottie as his mate, he made it official. In the end, he got his heartbroken. Ryker was afraid that he was going to walk a similar path.

"It's not the same," Abraham said. "Lottie was a scheming whore. She lured you in and manipulated you."

Ryker tried so hard to not feel so much, but now trying was useless. He was falling even when he was trying so hard not to. Could he love but not give all of him away? Pursuing her was an act of honor but also a reason for him to hope.

When they reached the pathway that led down to Ryker's home, they split ways. Telling Ryker what to do was the simple part. But the last leap, it has to come from Ryker. He needed to learn to let go.

Ryker walked along the quiet pathway, his eyes not looking exactly anywhere. When he passed Mary's cabin to walk to his home, he heard keys jangling and quiet voices.

"You need to add shallots," Mary laughed.

"I didn't have any. So I used red onions," Easton laughed along with Mary.

Ryker had never heard Easton laugh before.

"Oh god, red onions?"

Ryker stopped walking to stare. She stood in front of her door. Easton must have walked her home. His chef's jacket was around her shoulder to ward off the chill of the night. Her eyes round with disbelief and amusement.

"It didn't taste so bad," he replied. "Besides, I was still in culinary school. I had to use what I had on hand."

Mary's laughter filled the night air. Ryker's heart squeezed hard in his chest. He missed hearing it.