through the years

Start from the beginning

she treasured the gift. even if the two of them started to become distant to each other. when they started to have their own lives at age sixteen, their time to each other also started to lessen. no more friday nights, no more busy weekends because of playing too much. they became their own individuals. jennie AND lisa. not jennie and lisa anymore.

at age eighteen, when the two begin studying on the same university, they started hanging out with each other again. and it is lisa and jennie again. not jennie AND lisa.

"hey, do you finally got a boyfriend?", jennie once asked lisa. her eyes are teasing. and lisa shook her head.

"no boyfriend. don't like it", she actually don't like anyone. i mean, how can you like some other person when you're already in-love with your  bestfriend?

"me too, no boyfriend, yay!", jennie's voice sound sarcastic, and her face looks displeased. lisa thought that she is looking for a boyfriend, NOT a bestfriend who is in-love with her. and lisa didn't try to tell her, because she might ruin their friendship, and she doesn't want that.

jennie had the same realization like lisa's when she was fourteen, but jennie just knew it when she was nineteen. she heard that lisa is going out with a girl named roseanne, she felt something inside her burned at the news. she didn't know what is was, not until she saw lisa and the woman together with her very own eyes, and she knew it. that day, she knew that she has been in-love with her bestfriend, and she is stupid enough to not realize it until that day.

lisa, while going out with a girl, can't keep jennie out of her mind. so at age twenty-one, just after she and roseanne hit their second anniversary, she broke things off. jennie might have thought that lisa is heartbroken, she consoled her. this have been their closest with each other after how many years of drifting apart.

jennie felt that she wants to tell lisa how she felt. she planned to tell her on a night together. but when she is in that moment, her tongue tied, she can't utter the words she wants to say. just because she thought that lisa doesn't like her back, and it might ruin their friendship, and she doesn't want that.

and so, years had passed again. the two of them started working and only meeting each other every once in a while. lisa became a photographer, her lifelong dream. whilst jennie, became a pâtissier and owned a bakery. when they bought two separate house on the same neighbourhood, they met again at age twenty-seven. the two of them are single and happy and contented about their lives. but something seems missing.

they bonded with each other after years. lisa bought the plane tickets and jennie booked the hotel room, they managed to get a vacation. during their stay on the island, lisa tried to reflect and she thought, "what if she just ask jennie out?", but then it surged into her, the idea of the their friendship getting ruined. and she was scared. she has always knew that what she and jennie have is special, and she won't do anything stupid to break it off.

after the vacation, they went back to their different lives. and finally they met again, at age thirty. lisa just came back from a different country, jennie made her time cleared for lisa's arrival. when she saw her at the airport, her heart swelled. jennie is still in-love with lisa. and she saw lisa made her way to her, a luggage on her  right hand and a hand on her left hand.

she saw the woman holding lisa's hand, it's roseanne, the same woman who lisa had been with when they were on college.

"hey, jennie. you remember her right? this is roseanne, my wife", the emphasis on that word made her world crashed, and it is because lisa is her world. but she isn't lisa's world, and she can't be her world anymore.

lisa met roseanne again, on france last year. with the constant thought that she can't be with jennie going on her mind, she gave roseanne a try again. and they got married just this year, she insisted to roseanne to go back to their country, because she felt that her heart is in there, lisa reasoned out.

well, that's the truth, her heart is in korea. roseanne will never know whether it's the country or someone so dear to lisa. and when she saw jennie on the airport, she felt her walls crashed. why is she feeling this? the thought of loving someone aside from roseanne is so wrong, but why does it feels so right just because it is jennie. but she can't tell this to anybody. not roseanne, and absolutely not jennie, because it might ruin their friendship which has been as long as she can remember, she doesn't want that.

jennie can't take it anymore, she have to tell lisa or she will just get away from her. she doesn't want to ruin lisa's marriage, so she chose the latter. she ran away.

a year after living in new zealand, she met a woman named jisoo. she is nice and jisoo likes her, so she gave it a try. jennie didn't understand what she was feeling. jisoo wanted a marriage when she was thirty-three, she wished to have a family of her own, but with a woman who is already married and doesn't love her the way she loves her.  but jisoo isn't so bad, jisoo love her, and she is willing to do anything for jennie.

they got married. jennie yearned to go back to korea, and jisoo approved. and she met lisa a month after they got back, at the bakery she owned.

"what happened to us?", lisa have a longing stare, she still looks at jennie the same. like she was the most precious thing in the world.

"i love you, lalisa", jennie uttered, it might not be the most pleasant timing but she knew. she knew that she has to tell her what she really feels.

lisa looked shocked. she can't understand what does jennie mean by that. "i loved you all through these years, lisa", when jennie continued, lisa went agape. jennie felt the same, all these years, she's not the only one who has feelings for the other. she smiled bitterly at the thought.

"i love you, too, jennie", and jennie also became ecstatic. she smiled back to lisa with the same bitterness on her lips.

they love each other so dearly, but they can't do it now. because they have their someones now, and it would be too selfish if they'll want to get what they want. it might be the end of something so beautiful, but deep in their hearts, they knew. they knew and they hoped that tomorrow, and to the years that will pass, it will still be jennie and lisa. not jennie AND lisa.

  ____________________________________