"accept it."

Slade blinked, "no."

"accept it so you can go help Dick."

"he's a grown man, he knows what he's doing, he can handle this."

"and he's also going through a whole lot of internal panic and emotional turmoil, so go help."

Slade blinked, "you're sure?'

"I'm his sister, I'm sure."

Slade crossed his arms, "one condition."

"what's that?"

"got to bed."

Alex sighed, dramatically dropping her head back.

"going once."

Alex sulked, "fiiine."

"didn't hear you," Slade leaned in.

"I will go to bed if you go help Dick."

"deal," Slade shook hands with her, "pleasure doing business with you."

This was probably the most nerve wracking call Dick had ever made.

He considered, briefly, going back out into the cockpit and asking Artemis to do it. but he couldn't. he was supposed to be guarding Kaldur, this was on him.

So he configured the device to make sure the encryption was strong and stood in front of the screen, automatically falling into parade rest, as he waited for Black Manta to accept the call.

It didn't take long. He'd likely heard the reach ship had been attacked and was waiting for a call from Kaldur to debrief him. Dick felt momentary success for catching the flash of surprise in his eyes when Dick was on the other end of the call.

"Renegade," he acknowledged.

"Manta," Dick echoed the tone, "I'm sure you were made aware of the attack on the reach ship."

"in passing," he said, "I expect you intend to give me a full debrief."

"that will depend," Dick said, slowly, trying to figure out how best to word this, "would you like the bad or worst news first?"

Manta narrowed his eyes. He seemed to catch something in Dick's expression and immediately turned interrogatory, "has something happened to Kaldur'Ahm?"

Dick took a deep breath, "Miss Martian was present for the attack," he forced himself to hold Manta's gaze, "Kaldur rushed ahead in an attempt to aid his troops, he found her and she... attacked his mind."

"what?"

Dick swallowed, "he is..." he breathed out, "he's currently... he appears in some state of mental catatonia."

Manta was quiet. And then he was furious.

"we are on our way to your sub as we speak," Dick explained.

"good," manta said, his voice barely holding back the immense anger inside, "I will speak to you further on this once you arrive."

"yes sir," Dick said, and the screen turned black.

He was so dead.

Manta slammed the table, barehanded.

"How could you let this happen?"

Dick swallowed, took a deep breath.