"please don't call me that."

"no promises."

Artemis seemed to realise something. She hit him again, this time a light playful punch to the shoulder.

"Jason's alive?"

Dick blinked, "oh," he smiled, "yeah."

"what the hell?"

"I don't know, Ra's did it without talking to anyone else," Dick said, "he told us the day after, Thalia was pissed. I volunteered to look after him."

"is he gonna go back to Batman?"

"I don't know." Dick frowned, "he's sorta merged with the family, and Batman kinda broke his trust by not saving him."

"it wasn't his fault," Artemis defended. Although she didn't know why, all considered Batman had to stop taking in kids without going to the right lengths to keep them from getting hurt.

Dick rose an eyebrow, "look, I've got my own issues with Bruce, let's not get into that."

"does that come under the terms of the truce?"

"sure," Dick smirked.

Slade really didn't know how Luthor had become so unfathomably full of himself over the years, he supposed it was a skill. Perhaps it was one of those rich white man things that he'd earned from his father without any effort.

But why was Luthor gunning for him to become an enforcer for the Light? Sure, he could do the job, with ease. but why would he? And why would Luthor want him?

He was walking down the hall from training, heading to his rooms, when he overheard Alex.

That was unsurprising. As much as Dick was the insomniac of the family, Alex was a close second.

What was surprising was what she was saying.

"you're father got through it."

Slade frowned, faltering as he passed her door. He stopped, staring at the door, the smallest gap allowing the sound to filter out.

"for what?"

Slade stepped back, leaning closer to the gap. He thought maybe he could hear the other voice on the line, just barely...

"you don't have to thank me, Dick." Alex said, "everything is the easiest thing for me to give you. I have it in spades, seeing as you've given me so much of it."

Slade blinked. She was comforting Dick? What had happened? Last he'd heard was some old friend from his hero days had died. He'd figured Dick would have taken a hit from that, the guy had a soft spot. Although it was usually well guarded. Slade figured Dick would be able to slug it through the mission till he could be home, then they could all make sure he didn't end up in a worse mental place than he already was.

However, it was starting to sound like there was a problem.

But also he shouldn't be spying outside Alex's room. He'd have to casually contact Dick himself some time...

And the door was swinging open and Alex was staring at him.

"uh," Slade tried, "there is an explanation-"

"can it, unnecessary, I knew you were there." Alex flicked her hand, "Luthor called you three days ago about becoming an enforcer, yeah?"

Slade frowned, "yes?"