Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"Give me a reason, tell me a lie, that contradicts to what you feel for me and I swear to you, I'd leave you alone." He spoke confidently, eyeing Emmett's nervousness.

"I don't feel anything for you." Emmett easily lied, ignoring the ache in his heart at his words.

"Not good enough." He was consistent.

"I look at you and I see my world-shattering into these despicable shards of audaciousness that reflect my only desires, otherwise deemed unworthy by the universe. This is what I truly feel for you." Emmett lashed out, shaking with agony as he had never known.

"Is that what you really feel for me, darlin'?" He softly asked, eyes brimming with tears.

"Yes and don't call me that, my name's-" Emmett started.

"I don't care what your name is, just answer me." The stranger vehemently interrupted, fiercely questioning him again.

"Yes, yes I do, I do feel for you. I have been in love with you since the first thunderstorm that we had, unintentionally shared together. I have been in love with you ever since the day I had heard you sing, I have been in love with you for so long, do you realise that? It is so selfish of me, so irrevocably selfish of me to love you." Emmett professed, eyes ablaze with emotions he couldn't contain.

"Do you regret loving me then, is that so? Am I-" He questioned again, eyes matching with his fury.

"Yes, I do, I regret loving you because it has changed me. You have changed me, replaced the Emmett that I was so accustomed to being, with your wit and charm and your golden persona but I still miss being that Emmett, he was inwardly broken, but you, helped him mend the pieces of his broken heart, you anchored him and for that, I regret loving you." Emmett summarised, choking back a sob at the realisation.

"You are so absurd, grey eyes." Was all he could say.

"Yes, I am but this too is the side effect of the love that I have channelled for you."

"Then why are you so intent on ignoring this, huh? Do I mean nothing to you?"

"That is an underestimation surely, you wouldn't think the same if the roles had been reversed."

"What do you mean?" He inquired, confusedly.

"I wasn't going to confess my feelings because, rejection isn't something that I like, even if I have become somewhat habitual to it, it doesn't mean that I'd test the waters so impulsively. It was easy for you to say given your confidence level, but I can never exhibit this boldness, it is not a quality trait that I can have, unfortunately, and it all seems a bit unfair, because I had it bottled inside for so long but you couldn't keep it in, could you?" Emmett explained.

"That is a bit harsh, don't you think? You cannot just underestimate my feelings." He added.

"That is not my intention, it is just the way it is and I am to be blamed for my mental dilemma, it is not of your concern," Emmett stated stoically, as he tried to mask his feelings again.

"I see what this is. You are pushing me away." He concluded, giving him a disappointed look.

"I don't push people away." Was all Emmett could say, seemingly aware of the truth.

"You do, and I don't blame you, but you have to let me in, darlin'. I only care about you, can't you see that?" He consoled, giving him a sad smile.

"I can but-"

"Somethin' else is bothering ya?"

"Yes. It's honestly nothing but it is quite irksome."

"Come on, get on with it, we have the whole night to ourselves."