Memories

Do you ever have one of those feelings where you feel like something is going to happen? A good thing, or perhaps not. This is the feeling Luna woke up with on a crisp October morning. Maybe I had a nightmare, she thought. She climbs out of bed and pads over to the coffee machine on the kitchen counter and puts her hands flat on the black marble counter and sighs. Since Luna has this feeling that she knows she probably won't shake for a while, she decides to walk down the block to her favorite coffee shop: Love Roast Coffee. There is nothing a cup of coffee can't fix. She says goodbye to her fluffy Persian kitten, Sully, and grabs a ruby-colored cardigan off of the coat hook by the door. She pulls her hair into a messy bun and steps outside. She is met with cool Autumn air as she beings walking towards Love Roast Coffee.

When Luna arrives at the coffee shop, she already knows what she is going to order. As she steps up to the counter to place her order, the front door of the shop flies open with urgency, and a handsome gentleman with chestnut hair, a black cashmere sweater, and noticeable tattoos that adorn his fingers enters the shop. He seems to be in a hurry, or perhaps that's just his personality, Luna thought. Despite his handsome features, she refrains from her usual nosy behavior. She shrugs to herself and turns back to the counter, getting ready to place her order. All of a sudden, the smells of juniper and mint enter her nostrils. As she looks up, she sees the man step in front of her, so gracefully, so unlike when he first walked through the front entrance. At first, she is taken aback by his wonderfully smelling cologne, but then she finds herself scrunching her nose in disgust as she realizes he just cut in front of her in line. "He looks familiar.." she thought, but that thought fades as she is about to tap on his shoulder to inform him of his rude action. The man then turns around with a cup in his hand and reaches out to hand it to Luna. He says, "I think I know you.. so I bought you coffee so I can find out where exactly I know you from." He smiles with a smile so full of boyish hope or anticipation, not seductive or flirtatious at all, despite his masculine aura. Luna can't help but smile and take the coffee from him, "Thanks.. but how about let's start with your name.." She says, and smiles and she takes the first sip of her delicious coffee. "Oliver." He says and leads Luna to a seat in the front of the coffee shop. "I'm Luna, however, you may already know that?" She questions and feels heat creeping up her cheeks as he pulls out her chair for her and takes the other seat at the small table.

Oliver shifts in his chair and asks, "Okay, so do you believe in magic or anything of the sort?"

Luna clears her throat and thinks to herself, what an odd question. She sets her cup down, "Um, I would say I'm a skeptic, but I do love a good magic show. Why do you ask?"

"Well, I think that you think you've seen me before, and I think I know I've seen you before, so I'm just asking a question to see whether that is true."

Luna is officially confused beyond belief. "But, what does magic have to do with us knowing each other?" She tilts her head and squints at him.

Oliver leans forward and clasps his hands together. "Let me show you."

His beautiful blue-grey eyes bore into Luna's. Luna stares at him, waiting for what it is that he is supposed to be showing her. Another moment passes, and Luna's vision is overtaken by a beautiful shimmering white light. The coffee shop no longer exists as the white light evaporates into what looks like a memory.

Luna peddles her bicycle in a hurry as she crosses the street, she gasps, noticing a car speeding towards her, she tries to swerve out of the way. Her breath hitches as she casts a glimpse of the driver and sees that they are occupied with a cellphone. Everything moves so fast, she sees the sidewalk, just a few feet away. She feels a rush of chilling air around her that contrasts the humid heat of New York City as she peddles faster, and before she can process what is going on, she is on the sidewalk. She was too far from the sidewalk to have gotten there so fast. It was as if she blinked, and she felt her bike hit the sidewalk. She pauses abruptly and breathes hard. She whips her head to the adjacent street, but the car is no longer to be seen. It was just there, she thought to herself. She takes a few more deep breaths, grateful for the unexpected turn of events as she starts again to her destination.

Another memory is shown.

Luna feels her eyes open, eyelids heavy. She looks around the hospital room and sees her brother across the room. He appears to be signing forms."What are you doing here?" Luna asks, surprised that she is able to talk coherently after being drugged by the nurses. All she remembers from the accident is her hand slipping on a boulder, and then the fall, the very hard fall.. Her brother kneels down next to her bedside. "Luna, I'm glad you're awake. The doctors said you're allowed to be discharged early." She gives him a blank stare.

Her brother takes her hand, "Look, I know it's normally impossible, he laughs lowly, but the doctors had me sign release papers because you've healed.." Luna's eyes widen slightly, "I've healed? How? Lance, I am so confused." Lance squeezes her hand, "I think we all are. They were sure you had some sort of brain injury from the rock-climbing incident, you fell pretty hard, but now they're saying you're completely healed.. and you've only been here for two hours." Luna looks over herself and starts shaking. Lance hands her clothes that he had brought for her, "C'mon, let's get you home."

And another.

The footsteps sound closer as Luna grips her pepper spray and walks urgently to her car. She turns into a dark alley that reeks of mildew and spoiled food as she takes a short cut to get to her car. She turns around abruptly as a man grips her arm with force. Her pepper spray drops to the wet ground. She tries to knee the man in the groin, but he already turns her around so that her back is pressed against his chest. She screams as she wriggles with all of her might to get out of his hold. After a moment, the weight on her back, and the tight grip on her arm is gone. Her arms are still wrapped around herself, trying to break free when she realizes no one is holding her. She sees her purse on the ground. She looks around frantically for the man that held her hostage. Nothing. All that is left are the sounds of cars passing by on the street. She picks up her purse and goes to pick up her pepper spray. The pepper spray is not where it dropped, instead, in its place is a knife, it's small and looks like a pocket-knife. There is a note attached to it that reads: try this instead. Luna looks around frantically a second time. She grabs the knife, stuffs it into her purse, and runs to her car.

The sound of coffee brewing and cups clinking brings Luna back to the present. She blinks three times and stares at the man in front of her.

Oliver smirks and leans back in his chair, "My name is Oliver Drakon, and I'm your guardian angel. I'm kinda, sorta, literally sworn to protect you. Have you put the knife to good use?"