She's lying. She's afraid to see me fly off the handle. I follow her outside and sit behind her on the bike.

"I have no clue who that prick is and what he did, but I didn't like seeing you like that, baby boy. Have you been to the doctor since you came back here?" Dakota asks as soon as she's killed her Harley's engine in my driveway.

"Ferdinand messed with my girl. Something's going on, and I can't stand not knowing what sick games he's playing."

"Go to bed. We'll talk tomorrow."

I oblige, but I'm too wound up to fall asleep. After tossing and turning in bed for half an hour, I get dressed and exit the house.

"Stop!"

Dakota's sitting on the porch swing with her hands wrapped around a bottle of beer.

"I need to talk to Bella," I say, halting.

"No, you don't."

"I do, D."

Dakota sighs and struts over to my bike. "I'll drive. You've been drinking, and I don't trust you. Besides, I'll be your backup in case your girl finds out you went in the middle of the night to see a chick you slept with."

"Okay," I huff.

I tell Dakota where to go. We're next to Bella's house after a while. Dakota stays behind as I pick up a pebble and throw it at Bella's window. She'll know it's me; that's what I've been doing since we were sixteen.

Bella opens the front door and stares at me, her arms crossed.

"Is that dick here with you?" I ask.

Bella smirks. "Jealous?"

The question makes me roll my eyes. "Of course, I'm not. Is he?"

"No. Is that why you came here like you used to? To make sure I was alone?"

My patience is as thin as the ice on my favorite lake in spring. "Listen, sugar, you ain't stupid. He's not into you—he's using you to get to me because I punched his face, and Ferdinand can't stand being humiliated. He'll use you for whatever the fuck he wants and dump you. You deserve better than that."

"Maybe we're using each other, Brian. Did you think about that? That you're here tells me something. You're jealous, aren't you? You don't want to be with me but don't want other guys near me?"

"I'm not jealous. Fuck whoever you want, but not someone who considers me his enemy. Are you really that blind? What did he promise you? Money?"

"Go away, Brian," Bella hisses. "Unless you miss me because, let's get real, that girl isn't giving you what you need."

"That's our cue to leave, baby boy. Come on."

Dakota drags me away, tugging at the sleeve of my leather jacket.

"Stop it, D. I'm not a kid."

She throws her hands up. "I don't get you. That chick screams trouble. I'd stay the fuck away, and you do the opposite. Watch her go to your girl and use your midnight visit against you."

I snort. "That's ridiculous."

Dakota sighs, starting the Harley. "I sure hope so."

***

The following morning, I'm hungover and miserable. Dakota has to leave even before lunch — the workers arrived early, and she needs to supervise everything.

We hug, say our goodbyes, and I drag my feet to the garage after texting Kitten to check on her and say my friend had left. Pops is running some errands, and I'm in charge.