Unloved

Love isn't something you should have to ask for. But I ask for it anyway. Love isn't something you should beg for. But I beg for it anyway. From mother, from brother, from sister, from father. From man, from woman. From teacher, from neighbor. From anyone. Love isn't something you should grow up without. But I grew up without it anyway. Love isn't something you should look forward to everyday, for it should have been there since birth. But I look forward to it anyway. Love isn't a high pitched tone. It's soft, like a lullaby. Love isn't being molested by your own father. It's tea parties with your stuffed animals and long walks in the park. Love shouldn't be apologetic. Don't say you're sorry, just never do it again. Love isn't being abused due to your anxiety and depression. It's patience and acceptance. Love isn't teaching your little sister about sex by trying to penetrate her. It's teaching her how to defend herself from boys like you. Love isn't closed doors. It's opened ones. Love isn't crying every night alone knowing they hear you. Love is comfort. Love isn't walking in the rain with blood dripping down your arm because your mother kicked you out for hurting yourself. It's band-aids, hugs, and kisses. Love isn't silence in the morning. It's bacon sizzling on the stove and saying "have a good day". Love isn't favor for favor. It's favor without demanding anything in return. Love isn't emotionless. It's emotional. It's saying things you would say from the heart not because it's what's expected. Like 'I love you' and 'happy birthday'. Love isn't telling your daughter to kill herself because she said she wanted to kill herself, not for you to tell her to kill herself. Is love downing 3 pill bottles of antidepressants just to be loved? How can I love myself if no one loves me? Love is acknowledging that person who is doing everything they can to take weight off your shoulders as they let it build on theirs. Love isn't pretending to love just because you can't find no love like that love. Love isn't something you should pray for. But I pray for it anyway. Is love pain? Because that's what I feel when someone tells me they love me. Love isn't something you go out looking for to get away from home. But I go out looking for it anyway. Even if it's fake. Even if it's just for one night. Even if it's just for a minute, for a minute feels like a lifetime to me.