Chapter 3

The city of Boston zooms past you as the T hums along its tracks. The past few weeks have been a little hectic between starting your new job and just trying to get adjusted to your new life in general. But, you find that even in your little pauses of life thoughts of him, of what could have been still haunt you.

New city, new life. New city, new life. Get it together, Jenevieve! It's getting a little pathetic. You barely knew the man. It was just great sex, that's it...

You shake your head as if that would help your thoughts go away faster. You really do need to get it together. Thankfully since starting your new position you've met plenty of new people and explored Boston more. The city, the food, the people- well, the people are going to take some getting used to but nothing your New York City self can't handle. You've also fallen in love with your little apartment. Everything inside is you, and it's nice to come home to a place that you were able to furnish and decorate all your own. Well, almost all on your own...

*Ding*

You look up, it's your stop. You gather your belongings and step off the T towards your lab. Another fulfilling day at the lab, 12 year old you would be so proud right now, career wise anyway. Finally starting your dream job as a clinical chemist at an extremely prestigious lab, it was a dream come true.

At least you've finally got something going for you.

"Goodmorning, Jenevieve!" Mina, the receptionist greets you with her usual carefree smile.

"Morning, Mina! Busy day already?"

"Fridays always get people in a hurry to finish so they can get a start to their weekend! Speaking of which, got any plans?"

"This weekend? No, just a book and couch calling my name."

"Seriously? A girl like you can not keep
spending her weekends on the couch with a book. You're never going to find love that way!"

You laugh. "Who says I need to find love? Besides the men in my books are way more
romantic than real ones."

"That's all with your imagination! Please come out with us this weekend! It'll be fun! Besides it's time for some team building? "

"Mina, you can't call it team building if we don't work in the same department but I guess a night out wouldn't hurt anyone."

"Come on I'm grasping at straws here! I had to try something! I've been begging you for weeks now to come out. It finally worked though! I'll text you details later!" She winks as you walk away shaking your head.

"Okay, see you later, Mina." She reminds you so much of Jenny,which is probably why you clicked so fast. It's a good thing your key card wasn't working your first day of work or else you two would have never met. She teased you right off the bat, but you didn't mind cause you were so anxious and her laugh was so infectious that you couldn't help but laugh at yourself too.

You enter the full elevator and press number 8. With each floor ascended more and more people file out leaving you with only 2 others. You recognize them from a few times before, one works on the same floor with you in a different lab, he's quiet but cute in a nerdy sort of way that 13 year old you would have swooned over. The other gets off on the 7th floor, the legal offices. With his demeanor there's no mistaking that he's a lawyer, loud, showy, and of course he would be handsome. What is it with good looking men in this city?

*ding*

The lawyer looks up and locks eyes with you. He smiles, winks, and strides off.  You roll your eyes. The other guy notices and tries to hide a chuckle.