Year 1 - 1

'Slytherin!'

As the word came out of the hat's mouth, you scanned the Gryffindor table for Fred and George. They looked at you with equally shocked expressions. This couldn't be, how could a muggle-born be sorted into Slytherin house? The twins had told you on the train that it wasn't the house you wanted to be in, all the 'dark wizards' had come from there. Besides, you didn't want to be in a house rivalry with the only two friends you'd made so far. You looked up at Professor Mcgonagall with desperation in your eyes, but she simply removed the hat, offered you a weak smile, and said 'the table on the right dear.'

As you made your way over, you noticed a boy with bright blonde hair smirking at you. You recognised him: just before the sorting ceremony he had tried to befriend one of the boys you met on the train platform earlier that day - and been rejected. You'd have felt bad for him if he hadn't been so rude about the Weasley family. Still, he was in your house, so you supposed you'd be forced to befriend him. Maybe he just made a poor first impression, maybe he wasn't so bad when he wasn't showing off. You looked at the other first year Slytherins all looking back in your direction. So far there were two other boys, and two girls. One of the girls, Pansy Parkinson, looked really cool. You figured if you became friends with her, the rest of the girls would follow, so as you reached the table, you had your plan of action.

'Hi! I'm (Y/N)' You said sheepishly

'Hi!' The girl who wasn't Pansy beamed in response, 'I'm Daphne Greengrass. This is Pansy Parkinson, Draco Malfoy, Gregory Goyle, and Blaize Zambini.'

Before you could respond, you were interrupted by Draco.

'Interesting name (Y/L/N). I can't say I've heard it before. What is it that your parents do?' The boy questioned. You shot a look at the others, they all looked back at you expectantly.

'Well, my dad was a lorry driver, although... I never met him.' You replied, 'and my mum runs a B&B. What about your parents?' Pansy started to laugh.

'I'm sorry, are your parents muggle lovers or something?' She asked, still laughing.

'My parents are muggles.' You responded. Silence fell across the entire end of the table. Some of the second years began whispering amongst themselves. You could feel everyone looking at you in a mixture of shock and disgust. You shrank a little into your seat.

'That's impossible, you're in Slytherin.' Daphne uttered.

'How could they let one of you into this house?' Draco said, the smirk wiped clean off his pointed face, 'just wait till my father hears about this.'

'Think about us Draco,' Pansy complained, 'me and Daphne have to share a dorm with her.'

You looked around the table for help. Daphne looked at you sympathetically, but didn't say anything. You were completely alone. What had started as the most exciting day of your life had become a nightmare. You wanted to cry, there and then, but you fought back the tears as you didn't want to give them the satisfaction. You didn't even notice the new girl about to sit next to you.

'Don't sit next to her Bulstrode.' Draco warned, 'We've got a mudblood infestation.' Everyone laughed. You winced at the word, 'mudblood'. Fred and George had told you what it meant on the train, and told you to never let someone call you it, or make fun of you for your blood status. You wanted to run to them. But for now, all you could do was stare down at the table.

As you were leaving the hall to head to the common rooms, you looked over to the Gryffindor twins again. They were talking to their younger brother Ron, who had just joined them in Gryffindor house. Fred ruffled the boy's hair, and you wished you were with them: they didn't care that you were a muggleborn. George caught you watching them, and nudged his brother before gesturing in your direction. Fred fake pouted at you, and made a broken heart gesture with his hands; George mouthed 'you ok?'. You responded to them with a weak smile before the prefects ushered you out of the room.

The Slytherin common room was breathtaking. You loved the fact you were in the dungeons; you loved the windows with the underwater view; you loved the sound of the fireplace crackling; you loved the ornate leather settees. If it wasn't for the company, it would have been the perfect place to spend your evening. You decided the best thing to do would be to go to bed and hope a better day would come tomorrow.

'I wouldn't bother unpacking if I were you.' Pansy called after you, making you stop in your tracks and turn around 'We all have powerful parents, especially Draco, I bet you'll be out by the end of the week.'

You looked towards the boy in question, he was smirking at Pansy, happy at having his status recognised.

You turned back and continued on to the dorm room, so they couldn't see the tears forming in your eyes. You could hear the group laughing behind you.

About an hour later, another girl walked into the dorm, she looked surprised to see you sat awake.

'You come to have a dig too?' You asked her bitterly.

Daphne just shook her head lightly. After a long pause she finally spoke: 'I'm not writing to my parents about you.' she whispered, without looking at you, 'Try not to let them get to you, it's just how they were raised.'

You stared across at the girl, who had her back to you, as she unpacked her suitcase. At least one person in this house didn't hate you, you could live with that.

'Thanks.' You replied.