Chapter 14: Second Chance (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

Start from the beginning

"S-she's not breathing!" Leora says. "Serena, come on you have to... please...just open your eyes... "

Leora looked on the brink of tears. Achillean felt the anguish along with her. "No..."

"Stand back!" A deep voice says behind them.

Both Achillean and Leora turn around and see Master Aegus and Yamuna. Both move away as Yamuna crouches over Serena, checking her pulse as her markings grow even fainter.

"Her lungs are full of water!" Yamuna says. "I need to get it out."

Taking a breath and closing her eyes, Yamuna hovers her hand over Serena's chest, a glowing green aura fades in around her fingertips as she activates her song. Achillean knew of only a few Nestoris who wielded songs. With Yamuna being the Clan's healer, it was no surprise she used them. Yamuna breathes deeply as she concentrates, moving her hand over Serena.

Leora was shaking beside Achillean as she watched. "Please...wake up," she whispered desperately.

Yamuna moves her hand up Serena's chest, past her neck, and finally hovering over her mouth. Slowly, a small current of water within a green bubbly aura floats out of Serena's mouth, and onto the sand. Yamuna does this a few more times, making Achillean worried about how much water was in Serena's lungs...

"Come on dear..." Yamuna says.

Once again, she hovers her hand over Serena's mouth as more saltwater comes out. Then... as the last traces of water stain the sand, Serena coughs loudly and gasps for air.

All the Nestoris let out gasps of surprise and sighs of relief. Achillean was overjoyed, Serena was okay! Leora crouches down beside her sister.

"Serena! I'm so glad you're alright! What were you doing down that deep!?" Leora asked her sister as her voice shook.

Serena slowly opens her eyes. "I was caught in a fishing net... I couldn't get it off," she replies weakly.

As Yamuna checks Serena over, Master Aegus approaches Achillean.

"Where is Ingressus?" Master Aegus asks.

Achillean was wondering about that himself...

"He was here a few minutes ago. He found Serena, but when we came here... he looked afraid. Then he just ran off," Achillean said, confused.

Master Aegus' brow creased with concern. "Where did he run to?"

"Back towards the village," Achillean responded. In all the time Ingressus had been with them, Achillean had never seen his friend look so afraid before...

Yamuna stands up and addresses Master Aegus. "She seems alright, but I will need to take her back to my hut just to be sure."

Master Aegus nods, then turns to the other Nestoris who had gathered around. "Everyone, everything is alright, you all may return to your normal daily tasks."

Slowly all the Nestoris start heading back towards the village, relieved that everything had turned out alright. Master Aegus faces Achillean and Leora. "You two, help Yamuna carry Serena to her hut," the Master ordered.

"What about Ingressus? I need to go find him," Achillean said. Master Aegus shakes his head in denial to the young Nestoris' request.

"If Ingressus had run away from everyone, I assume he wants to be alone..." Master Aegus said sadly.

Achillean still had the nagging feeling to want to go find his friend and see if he was okay. But looking down at Serena still in the sand, Achillean knew he had to help her.