Like Sunshine After Rain

Nineteen

A fever came over you as you looked down to your side. A knife was sticking out of it. You slowly brought your gaze back to Acadia, who was now staring back at you, somehow seeming just as surprised.

In motions you couldn't observe fully, Cato pulls out his own spring-assisted knife and attacks her back, but his slice is much more fatal.

You tried to scream, but he had pushed you to the wall and covered your mouth before you could make a sound.

"We'll fix this," he says. "Here, lay down. You probably feel faint."

He was right, you did. You could barely stumble your way to the motel bed before gently collapsing with his guidance. He worked quickly, as if he had practice. He checked your blood pressure first before taking off his shirt and pressing it on your wound around the knife. You let out a groan that only got worse when he slowly pulled out the blade.

"It has to come out, I'm sorry," he apologized. He pressed his shirt deep into your bloodied skin as if he could close the skin with that alone. He patted the cloth before walking away and returning with a wet washcloth.

"I'm going to die," you muttered, heat overcoming you.

"You won't die," he sent you a tearful smile. "It's not very deep. I don't think you even need stiches. It'll probably scar though."

He was so calm, despite his few tears. He sent you smiles when you would be frowning. He killed someone, but she was going to kill you, so that...made it okay, right?

You felt like puking.

"Stay with me, okay? You'll be fine, don't sleep right now. It's all going to be okay.

You fell asleep anyway, but that was okay. Cato knew what he was doing. He searched the room for a first aid kit that he was blessed to find. He slapped a couple gauzes on the wound and then taped them down. You'd...be fine. You shouldn't move much, but it'd be okay. Now onto the next thing.

He turned to the other problem. The bigger problem.

He had more or less broken the poor girl's mind into thinking you were going to kill her. He didn't think she'd stab you over it. He just wanted to scare you both out of interacting with each other. He wasn't sure what would happen by bringing the two of you together for one last time, he only hoped it would be something that made you never want to talk to her again.

Problem solved, he supposed grimly.

He wasn't sure if he should clean the body or if he should leave it. God knows the motel didn't have cameras or anything of the sort—it was a shitty place.

Well, he frowned to himself. A whole dead body, though. How many of those do they get?

He'd have to get creative. Or maybe just dump her in a dumpster? The odds of being seen were fairly high.

Then again, did anyone know he was there? He could probably just leave.

Leave and then leave. You two needed to skip town immediately. He nodded, agreeing with himself. He would clean everything, pack you up, and go home.

And so he did just that. You woke up in the car ride—you were strewn across the backseat, a pillow behind your head and everything. Oh god, you blinked. It hurts.

You let out a soft groan in pain, making Cato shift his rearview mirror to see you. "How ya feeling, love?"

"...pain."

"Advil," he responded, passing you back a bottle. He pointed at the cupholder in front of you to show you the water bottle. You were grateful, but you took the pills and went back to sleep without another word.

The second time you woke up you were in your bed, more pain pills and water to your left. You blinked at the ceiling. It was probably some ungodly hour, but you also knew you'd probably be able to go back to sleep if you really wanted to.

And you did. You didn't want to face what had happened. What happened to you. What you saw.

What... Cato did. For you.

The trouble you'd caused.

A number three on your body count.

An addition to the debt you owed to this man.

Your door opened.

"Somehow I knew you'd be awake," Cato said with a smile, approaching your side. "...How are you feeling?"

"...I'm okay," you said. "I'm sorry. That you are involved in all this. You...had to... because of me."

"Please don't apologize dear (y/n)," he said earnestly as he knelt at your side. "You didn't ask for any of this. I know you didn't. I'm happy to help you."

"Why?" You asked softly.

Because I love you, he had wanted to say, but it wasn't time yet. It was going to take a little longer before you'd want to hear that, he was sure.

"I care about you. I have compassion for those who need help—those who are innocent. That is you, (y/n). You didn't ask for any of this. You didn't deserve any of this. I'm here for you for as long as you need me."

"You're so strange," was all you could say. "Thank you... for everything. I'm still sorry that you lost a friend today. And in such a terrible fashion."

"Please," he said tenderly, placing a hand on yours. "Don't let it trouble you."

You tried to do as he asked as you gently closed your eyes and returned to the black abyss of sleep.

Maybe when you woke up it'd all be different. 

-

are short chapters okay, or do you prefer the longer ones? Longer ones will take longer to produce, obvi, so just lmk what yall prefer.