iv. World War III

Start from the beginning

"Right, we need to select a missile," the Doctor mutters.

"We can't go nuclear, we don't have the defence codes," Mouse argues.

"We don't need the defence codes, you idiot. All we need is an ordinary missile," I retort, continuing with my bag.

"What's the first category?" the Doctor asks, not looking at me. I finish packing my bag, slinging it onto my back and walking back around to the Doctor and he grabs my hand again. "Sub Haffoon, UGMA4A," Mouse tells him.

"That's the one! Select," the Doctor orders.

"I could stop you," mum threatens quietly.

"Do it, then," Mouse challenges.

"Ready for this?" the Doctor asks, running his thumb over my knuckles.

After a moment of tense silence, Mouse replies with a firm, "yeah."

"Mickey the Idiot," the Doctor sighs. "The world is in your hands: fire," he orders.

"Oh, my god," mum whispers in horror.

Harriet goes over to one of the windows which is covered in metal. "How solid are these?" she asks, tapping the steel.

"Not solid enough," the Doctor shakes his head. "Built for a short-range attack... nothing like this."

"All right... Now, I'm making a decision. I'm not gonna let my baby sister die, so! We're going to ride this one out," Rose announces. "It's like what they say about earthquakes! You can survive 'em by standing under a doorframe," she smiles. "Now, this cupboard's small, so it's strong. Come and help me. Come on!" she exclaims at Harriet and she runs into the cupboard.

*********

Rose, Harriet and I are all moving things from the cupboard and onto the table. "It's on the radar," Mouse calls. "Counter defence 556!"

"Stop them intercepting it!" the Doctor orders.

"I'm doing it now," Mouse replies.

"Good boy," the Doctor praises, being honest this time.

"556 neutralized," Mouse announces. I poke my head out of the cupboard as Rose and Harriet hunker down. "Doctor. In here, now!" I yell at him. He rips the phone from the speaker and rushes in. I grab onto the Doctor's hand and curl up next to him. Rose grabbing my hand, and Harriet grabbing the Doctor's other hand. "Nice knowing you three," Harriet smiles. "Hannibal!" she cheers.

The four of us brace ourselves as the room begins to shake violently. Rose and I are screaming as we're thrown around the small cupboard. Sooner than I thought, it was over and I was laying on someone's chest, breathing heavily. The Doctor laughs gleefully, helping us all up and checking to make sure we are all alright. The Doctor kicks the door open and we climb out of the cabinet room. I raise my hand, wincing at the sunlight. My eyes widen a bit as I look around at the burning rubble that used to be Downing Street. "Made in Britain," Harriet smiles, patting the side of the metal room, making me smile. A soldier rushes over to us, aping. "Are you alright?" he asks.

"Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North," she flashes her ID. "I want you to contact the UN immediately. Tell the ambassadors the crisis is over and they can step down," she orders. "Go on, tell the news!"

"Yes, ma'am," he nods before hurrying off.

"Someone's got a hell of a job sorting this lot out," Harriet shakes her head, gesturing around before her eyes widen. "Oh, Lord! We haven't even got a Prime Minister!" she gasps.

"Well, maybe you should have a go," the Doctor smirks, grabbing onto my hand. "Me?" she laughs. "I'm only a backbencher," she denies.

"I'd vote for you," Rose smiles.