Prologue

Originally Posted: September 21, 2020

Edited: June 7, 2021

~

Two years ago, I started a job at a small café. It had been a good idea at the time, but now I wasn't so sure...

"Uh... hey. Welcome to your first day on the job."

The purple-haired guy in front of me looked like he hadn't slept for weeks.

He sounded like it too. It would be impossible to sound any more bored.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Giselle. You are...?"

"Shinso. Let's get this over with."

Gee, alright. We'll do it that way.

He proceeded to show me around, pointing out the different machines and explaining what they were for.

"That's it. You man the cash register, I'll be in the back."

I smiled and nodded, even though being out front was the last place I would want to be if a customer came in.

At least I wouldn't have to pretend to want small talk with that Shinso guy. Just seeing him made me feel tired.

And hearing him speak? I almost fell asleep during the tour.

Is that what the late shift has done to him, or is that just the way he looks?

I was glad it was late. I wouldn't have to engage in conversation yet.

Today I just knew that I wouldn't be able to take it. My quirk had already been a little strained today, and I didn't want to push it.

How would I explain a focal seizure? Or idiopathic facial palsy? Even if I could —I knew I would find a way— I would really prefer not.

Two thankfully uneventful hours later, we closed up the shop.

~

The day I met "Solatium" was the day that it all began to fall apart. Even if I hadn't realized it yet...

The bell rang as yet another customer entered the small shop. We were already half-full, and I was beginning to lose my mind just a little.

This "school holiday" business really is annoying. I couldn't escape the extra hours.

I molded my face into an awkward, friendly smile, and woodenly encouraged the new customer to come on over.

The beanie-wearing girl warily walked towards the counter, an odd expression on her face.

She immediately relaxed the second Mr. Shimizu appeared beside me.

"Hello again! This is Giselle, a new employee here! It's one of her first days on the job." 

He looked around conspiratorially, before leaning in to whisper to her. I couldn't quite pick up what he said to her, but he pulled away with a wink.

"I'll leave you two to it."

Then he was gone.

I suddenly felt extra nervous, adjusting my new employee uniform shirt as I smiled at the girl.

"Nice to meet you, Giselle."

It took me a second to realize she was speaking to me.

Stupid code name. I'm never going to get used to the damn thing.