Move to forks.

Chapter 1: Move to Forks.

Italics is Elena's thoughts.

Elena's POV:

Preface:

I had never given  much thought to how I would die. But dying in the place of someone I love... seems like a good way to go.

I am stood watching the last bit of sunshine I will ever see again. So I can't bring myself to regret the decision Bella and I made to leave home. I would miss Phoenix. I'd miss the heat.

I watch as Bella hugs our mother and I feel my heart beat rapidly inside my chest. I am going to miss our hugs. I would miss my loving erratic, harebrained mother and from our conversation last night in my bedroom, so will Bella.

As Bella steps back I step forward and take my mum's hands. I am wearing a new pair of clothes that are winter as she continues to wear summer stuff. My color code, which is all dark also shows my mood. My mum kisses my cheek. 

And her new husband.

I look around as Phil, my mum's husband speaks to us as he closes the door of his car. I barely listen as he basically explains that we need to hurry up.

"Guys come on," he tells all three of us.  "I love all three of you but we got a plane to catch."

But Phil and my mum want to go on the road.... Bella and I do not. So as a shared decision we are going to spend some time with our dad. There was a lot of disagreement over the decision but Bella and I compromise as twins. Maybe spending time with him will be a good thing.

I watch as we drive away from my beloved home... where I had spent most of my life. Bella takes my hand.  

When we got to the airport I hear my mum say the same words she'd been saying for weeks... to both Bella and I.

"You don't have to do this you two..."  I can hear the hope that we'll stay in her voice. 

"We want to go,"  I lied.  It was better that I lied... Bella could not lie to save her life.

"Tell Charlie I said hi,"  she tells us. 

"We will,"  Bella promises her and then she glances at me and I smile encouragingly.

Mum glances from Bella, to me and back again.

"I'll see you both soon,"  she insisted.  "You can come home whenever you want -I'll come right back as soon as you need me."

But I could see the sacrifice in her eyes behind the promise. So could Bella. Usually I was the best at reading mum's emotions so if Bella could see it as well... then she must really be showing it. 

"Don't worry about us,"  I urged. "It'll be great. I love you, Mom."

She hugged us one last time before we got on the plane. Then she was gone.

I feel as though my whole life is gonna change. Forks is so different to Phoenix. 

In the state of Washington, under a near constant cover of clouds and rain, there's a small town named Forks. Population, 3,120 people. This is where my twin and I are moving.

It was from this town and its gloomy, omnipresent shade that my mother escaped with Bella and I when we were both only a few months old. It was in this town that we'd been compelled to spend a month every summer until we were fourteen. That was the year I finally put my foot down;  Bella just nodded along... she probably would have kept going if  I did. So these past three summers, our dad,  vacationed with us in California for two weeks instead.

Our Dad Charlie is the chief of police in this town. 

It's a four-hour flight from Phoenix to Seattle, another hour in a small plane up to Port Angeles, and then an hour drive back down to Forks. Flying doesn't bother me; the hour in the car with Charlie, though, I was a little worried about.

"You're not the only one sis," Bella had agreed when I discussed her with it on the plane. "Hopefully its not too awkward."

Charlie had really been fairly nice about the whole thing. He seemed genuinely pleased that we was coming to live with him for the first time with any degree of permanence. He'd already gotten both of us  registered for high school and was going to help us get a car, probably not each but that doesn't matter. Bella and I share everything.

But it was sure to be awkward with Charlie. Neither he or Bella and I are what anyone would call verbose, and I didn't know what there was to say regardless. I knew he was more than a little confused by our decision - like my mother before us, we hadn't made a secret of our distaste for Forks.

When we landed in Port Angeles, it was raining. I didn't see it as an omen- just unavoidable. I'd already said my goodbyes to the sun. Bella just shook her head and laughed.

When we got there we grabbed our bags and made our way to the cruiser where our father was waiting for us. Not long after we were sat in the cruiser... as I had guessed in awkward silence.

"Your two's hair is longer," he says as I am sat in the back he looks in the rearview mirror at me. 

I glance at Bella who looks down at her hair and then she says for the both of us. "We had a cut since the last time we'd seen you."

"Oh," he says and he seems to hesitate. "Must have grown out again."

I nod to make him feel better.

We arrive at the house and I look up at the house with a slight sigh. I don't want to regret my decision... but this is going to be a weird time.

Charlie helps us get our bags out of the boot. Not a lot of bags luckily.

"Thanks dad," I say knowing that if I call him Charlie to his face he'd get upset.

We get inside and we head upstairs. Bella and I are not going to have to share a room which is good as long as....

"I've cleared off some shelves in the bathroom," he says and the hope he'd interrupted is dashed. 

"Right," Bella replies.

One bathroom, three people... great.

I see that my bedroom has not changed much over the time we had last spent time here. My bed even has the same lilac sheets that it had years ago. And my dresser still half painted in lilac... which is my favorite color. 

There is a desk and now that Charlie has shown Bella her room he comes back into mine.

"It's a pretty good work lamp," he says and I glance at the small desk lamp. "I found some of your old sheets... I hope you still like lilac."

"Yep," I say gently.

He glances around before nodding. "Okay."

He leaved.

One good thing about Charlie.... he doesn't linger.

I unpack my stuff just before my twin enters the room. "Yours hasn't changed much either I see."

"Yeah," I agree before sitting down on my bed as she sits at the desk. "Hope we're doing the right thing. I know Phil can look after mum but..."

"You still worry," she says and I nod before she takes my hands. "We'll keep emailing and ringing."

She moves to the bed and we place our arms around each other and hug.

QUEENC2020:

Please review.