24 ; false memory

Start from the beginning

Zuko grabbed his and Toph's hand. "You guys don't get it. My dad is great. He's... like...."

Aang glanced at Toph, who looked concerned. Zuko suddenly had a violent coughing fit and laid back down. Aang sighed again and pulled the covers back over him.

"He's just loopy," Toph said. "For all we know, this is normal for when he's sick."

"We could ask, if there was anyone who knew..." Aang crossed his arms. "But Iroh is comatose and Azula is living the time of her life with no supervision. Plus, she's only known him for a week."

"I guess we can just wait," She shrugged. "I dunno. I think maybe the hospital staff would've said something before we left."

"...You do realize doctors and nurses can't see when someone is sick, right?" He raised a brow. 

"Uhhh.... yes?" Toph smiled awkwardly.

<3

one week later

Zuko wasn't sick anymore, really, so he had gone back to the hospital. He stayed in his uncle's room for most of the day, and then Aang would bring him his schoolwork for the day, and they would do it together. Toph came with them sometimes, when Hakoda would allow her. 

"Uncle, you might not understand," Zuko gripped the bed railing tightly. "...I think you might, actually. You told me to go see him once... And, well, you always knew what was best for  me. But I wanted to tell you... even if, you , uh... can't hear me."

The only sound in the room was the steady beep of the heart monitor. 

"I, uhm. I decided I had to go see him," He continued. "I thought, as much as I don't want to, that if you don't make it for whatever reason, I should have someone to fall back on. And, that would be my father, right? I don't have any other family here. I hate him, you know that.... uh, but, he's still.... my dad... I guess, and I should learn to... forgive him?"

"You don't have to," Aang was suddenly in the doorway.

"Aang," Zuko looked up.

"You don't have to forgive him," He said. 

"I should," He looked down.

"Zuko, I think if your father kills your mom and then tries to do the same to you, you don't have to forgive him," Aang stood next to him. Zuko didn't respond, so he pulled his bag off and started digging through it. "I have your work for today."

"How much?" Zuko asked, sitting in the plastic chair behind him.

"Uhhh, well, let's say I'm going to be here for a while," Aang smiled, handing him a thick stack of papers. "We had test review in three of your classes. Two of mine."

Zuko rubbed his eyes and sighed. "Okay.... I'll just... get this over with."

After two hours, Aang was on his last page of questions, and Zuko was done. The papers sat on the bedside desk, crumpled already, somehow. 

"I'm guessing Toph wasn't allowed to come again," Zuko said. 

"Yeah, Hakoda is strict with her," Aang stopped writing. "After homecoming, and Katara coming home like that... He's kind of been protective over them. I don't know what they told him, but I have a feeling he doesn't like me."

Zuko smiled. "Yeah, well, they probably told him you dumped her to avoid the awkward mental health discussion."

"I'm fine with that, I guess," He shrugged. "At least he doesn't ban me from hanging out with her."