I discovered the place just two years ago, and it was my favorite for many reasons. For one, it wasn't as familiar to me as the rest of the land was, and therefore still had a sparkling newness to it. That would fade with time. But I also liked it for the privacy it provided. Few would dare to push through the thick undergrowth, nor would they have the patience-- or courage, for that matter-- to crawl through the maze of brambles to reach the other side, hence why it remained undiscovered. And my last reason for liking it was its beauty. The clearing was sheltered on all sides by trees and thick undergrowth, but there was a small hole in the canopy branches where the sunlight could spear through. It landed on a flat boulder, and it was that large mass of stone that I laid upon, letting the weak dawn light warm me up and dry the remaining water from my skin. I closed my eyes, drinking in the warmth, and relaxed.

I didn't get to do this very often. Though I slipped away from Kyane quite a lot, it was usually only long enough for me to bathe, and then I was marched home. So the few times that I got to escape to this quiet little place were cherished. It was nice to have a moment alone, where I didn't have to deal with a constant presence at my side and I could just breathe. It was suffocating to never have a second alone. I had existed for thousands of years, and had been conceived only a decade after my father, Zeus, had taken the throne on Olympus. But I was treated like a child. At first, when mother had doubled down on protecting me after she learned I was being pursued by multiple gods, I'd been grateful for it. But that was countless centuries ago, and I was tired of the overprotectiveness. I missed getting to go out on my own, without countless eyes watching me.

I had gone to Zeus about it, just a few decades ago. Begged him for help so I might change my circumstances. After he denied me, mother's spies only grew in number.

I laid in the sunlight in silence until my skin and hair dried. Then I sat up, sighing softly, and gathered my peplos, shaking it free of loose dirt. If I didn't get back home soon, I would be in trouble. Besides, I still had my tasks to do today. Mother and I would be receiving prayers in the afternoon, and I had to do my share of harvest work before then. The Thesmophoria was drawing close and my mother liked to be prepared for it.

I dressed quickly and rushed home.

Kyane was waiting for me outside the manor. Her night-black hair, dripping wet as always, was up in her familiar bun, and she was already dressed in a peplos similar to mine. Her pale, green-blue face was set in an expression that I knew meant business. She was angry. Her silver eyes burned with it. As I approached her, I saw those eyes look me up and down, checking for injuries. When she saw none, she relaxed, but only a little.

"Where have you been?" She demanded.

"I bathed," was all I said, my tone clipped. "And now I'm going to the orchard to help my mother. Are you coming?"

Her reply surprised me. "Your mother actually wants you to meet her in the garden this morning. She wants to speak with you. You would have known this if you hadn't run off before I woke up." She leveled a fierce glare at me, which I returned. After a moment, she huffed out an angry breath and turned away. "Come. Demeter wants to see you immediately."

I followed her silently, glaring at her back. We went up the stairs leading to the entrance of the manor, and two of my mother's servants opened the doors for us. We followed the familiar halls to the garden that mother let me keep in the waiting hall outside of her workroom. It was enclosed by a circle of bricks so that nothing grew past that border. Plants of all kinds grew within, and in the middle of it was a stone bench carved into a half-circle, large enough to hold four people if necessary.

Mother was already waiting on that very bench. Her golden brown waves were fashioned into a half-bun, held in place by gold clasps. Her peplos was green and gathered at the waist with a soft brown leather belt, and gold clasps very similar to the ones in her hair held the material at her shoulders. Her sharp, angular face was set in an expression of deep thought, and her honey eyes were dark with concern. She looked up when she heard our footsteps, and she smiled tightly at me.