xxi. First and Last Time

Start from the beginning

Cold dread seeped into my bones as I glanced at Ruby and Ernie again, then as if on cue, the three of us stood up and rushed to the exit followed by majority of the higher years.

Suddenly, I seemed to have gained the ability to hear again. All around me, everyone was pushing and shoving one another as we tried to rush up the staircase and into the nearest open courtyard. Shouts and panicked chatter surrounded me in every direction. I did my best to keep Ernie and Ruby close to me, afraid of what might happen if I lost the two of them out of my sight.

He's got to be lying, I thought to myself. The kid's probably saying that for some horrible prank.

When we finally emerged into the Main Entrance and the three of us managed to disperse from the crowd of Hufflepuffs, we took the nearest open window and peered at the sky, hoping with everything in me that it wasn't true. But what I saw was enough proof that it was.

Painted in the sky was a hazy green skull so big it almost covered the entirety of the stars above. From its mouth slithered out a serpent, acting like its tongue.

My heart crawled to my throat. It was the exact same as last time — two years ago, during the Quidditch World Cup.

Beside me, Ruby gave a sharp exhale and Ernie wrapped a determinedly protective arm around her shoulder. All around us, people from other houses were peering out into the courtyard too, all holding the same looks of terror. Some were even crying hysterically. 

A warm sensation suddenly pressed against my right thigh. I flinched and instinctively buried my hand into my robe pocket, only to take out the gold galleons Hermione charmed for our DA meetings.

I already knew that it meant. Glancing at my friends told me that they didn't have their own galleons with them which got me relieved — whatever was about to happen tonight, I didn't want them to be a part of it.

"Get everyone to safety," I breathed out, turning to Ernie and Ruby with a fierce look in my eye. "Tell everyone to get back to their common rooms and stay inside until a teacher comes. Tell them whatever they do, they can't let anyone in. And that includes you two."

Without waiting for a reply, I rushed away from the courtyard and took the marble staircase two at a time to reach the Gryffindor Common Room, hoping to find Hermione or anyone who knew what the hell was going on.

I heard the sounds of yelling and spells being fired before I saw where it was happening. Stopping right in front of the Fat Lady's portrait, I held on to the wall to take a breath whilst trying my best to listen to where the fight was taking place rather than the sound of blood pounding through my ears.

Whipping my wand out and holding it in front of me, I dashed right and ran straight forward, emerging into an all too familiar corridor that lead up to the Astronomy Tower.

I halted in my tracks just as a jet of red light whizzed inches past my face. Letting out a yelp, I hid beside a suit of armor, thankful that my reflexes were fortunately working well.

My eyes darted rapidly, searching for whoever it was that shot it, but upon seeing no one in sight I figured it must've been a rogue.

Taking a deep breath I peeked over and let out a curse at the sight before me: it was utter chaos. Death Eaters clad in black robes littered in the corridor, shooting their curses at my friends who fearlessly fought back.