"What? Are you being serious?"

"Yep," (Y/N) nods and flicks a blue folded up piece of paper over to Nishinoya.

Nishinoya slowly straightens it out. "Your receives are almost as good as mine, not really but maybe one day they will be..."

"Hmmm, who could've wrote that?" (Y/N) drawls.

His expression must have been funny because (Y/N) starts to laugh.

"You knew it was me?" he whines, balling it back up and throwing it at (Y/N). "Why'd you act like you thought it was that... that weirdo kissy girl?! And why'd you say you changed rooms?!"

"Your reactions were kinda funny, and I wanted to see how you'd react if you thought you gave love notes to my parents," (Y/N) tries to smother his laughter with a hand, looking back to his homework. "So, wanna try again, Noya Noya?"

Nishinoya jumps off the bed and pulls (Y/N) up and away from his chair.

"I have 37 reasons—no, 38 reasons—for why I like you and maybe love you!!" Nishinoya yells. "Number one! You're very–" (Y/N)'s door creaks loudly when it opens.

"Could you two be more quiet? I could hear you from across the house," (Y/N)'s mother pokes her head in, smiling softly.

"Uh, yeah, sorry Mom." She waves and closes the door again.

Both of them stand there awkwardly.

"Maybe you can shout all the reasons another time?" (Y/N) smiles, and Nishinoya nods eagerly.

"I'm so excited you like me back! I have so many plans! I'm gonna get my drivers license and drive us around and maybe we'll solve a murder together and get rich!"

"Solve a murder? Whose murder?" (Y/N) laughs, and Nishinoya can't hold himself back anymore. He surges forward and wraps his arms around (Y/N), squeezing as tight as he can.

The amount of joy he feels when (Y/N) hugs him back just as tight is almost unbearable.

After a few moments of silence, Noya speaks again, "...Are you dating Tanaka? It was a joke, right?"

Nishinoya can feel him start to laugh and he smiles.

He doesn't seem to need his plan after all. But... why would Nishinoya waste a perfectly good plan? He'll just have to make a few changes.

-

The next day at practice, Tanaka slowly slides up to (Y/N), casually leaning against the gym wall with a hand.

"Yes, Tanaka?" (Y/N) asks. Noya hides behind Ennoshita, listening intently.

"Do boys like to be proposed to?"

The gym goes dead silent until Sugawara decides he has had enough.

"No, I am not letting this happen in a hot, sweaty gym!" Sugawara yells, pointing at Noya. "At least wait until you're third years! Have you even dated for a day?!"

"But... Suga-san," Nishinoya pouts, batting his eyelashes, "I'm in love with him."

"No, no, no, no!" Sugawara shakes his head while Nishinoya frowns.

"There's no way he got an actual ring though, right?" Daichi asks. He turns to Nishinoya who went surprisingly quiet. "Right, Nishinoya?"

"Right..." Nishinoya says and shuffles closer to where (Y/N) and Tanaka are, his hands suspiciously hidden behind his back.

Sugawara notices and lunges for Noya who shrieks and starts running to (Y/N). He slides into a kneeling position, being shoved to the side slightly by Sugawara's last attempt at grabbing him.

With his hands displaying the box, Nishinoya looks up only to see Tanaka in front of him, staring wide eyed at him with (Y/N) to the right of him.

"Ryu... don't," Nishinoya pleads. "Don't panic, don't overthink it. We had a plan, remember? Just step to the side and let (Y/N) s–"

Tanaka fans his teary eyes with a hand. "Oh, a thousand times yes! Of course I will marry you, Noya!"

Nishinoya lets out the most annoyed sigh he thinks he has ever produced while (Y/N), hysterical, looks like he is going to collapse with how much the laughter was making him shake. Well, at least his boyfriend seemed happy that Noya was now engaged to Tanaka.

———
somebody commented the idea of tananoya x reader

and honestly... nishinoya did propose to tanaka...  AND (y/n) said yes to date tanaka so up to you i guess ;)

maybe i'll make a sequel maybe not, but for now this is the end, so i hope you guys enjoyed <3