Echos of the Past Chapter 3

One month later

The Porter-Kennard family walked into Dana's with beaming smiles on their faces.   They chatted causally as they headed over to the corner table on the patio, the usual place for the Sunday brunch with their family. It was reminisce of the brunches they had at the Planet all those years ago, which was regularly pointed out by Alice. Dana's was different, the family was different, but the trusting, casual time spent with this tight nit group was the same.  Bette and Tina liked the patio, it allowed them to enjoy the morning sun as they watched the antics of the other patrons while still being able to participate in the conversation at their table. It wasn't exactly like the Planet, but time had changed them too. Funny thing was, Dana's became to Silver Lake what the Planet was to WEHO. Shane's impulsive act to buy a bar and then put a grill next to it had evolved into the most popular gathering point for all the LGBT residents in Silver Lake.  With the popularity of Dana's, Shane had inadvertently became a leader in the Silver Lake community. 

"Where are Nat and Alice,"  Tina asked as she sat in the chair Bette pulled out for her.  "Thanks Baby," Tina said giving Bette a loving smile.

Bette sat next to Shane with Tina in the middle of her and Angie.  "I'm starved," Angie said as she grabbed the menu.  "Chandler is going to be here to pick me up in an hour, so I gotta eat fast."  Angie said looking at Bette.

"They're running late," Shane said putting down the LA Weekly as she met Tina's inquiring eyes.  She then shifted her gaze, "Where are you guys going this time?"  Shane asked giving Angie an approving smile of the jeans and black sweater Angie was wearing.  "By the look of you, I am guessing it's a date?"

"I invited James and Julie to join us. I thought it time everyone met Julie."  Bette paused, "I think she's gonna be around for awhile," Bette said changing the subject as Kat, their regular waitress, came up and put out coffee for her and Tina. 

"Me too," Angie said looking up at the waitress with a smile. 

The waitress glanced at Tina who nodded her head in approval.  "I'll be right back with another cup," the waitress paused as she looked around.  "The usual ladies?"  Bette, Tina and Shane nodded affirmative. 

"Pancakes for me.  I don't know when I will have time for lunch."  Angie smiled as she looked down blushing. 

Shane continued to look around watching her family.  Everyday Tina and Bette settled more and more into their relationship and their role of being the center of their framily.  It was comforting knowing that things had finally gotten themselves where they should have been all along, Shane thought.  She was worried for a long time about Bette.  Tina was so lost and her behaviors had impacted Bette and Angie so significantly that both Shane and Alice were not sure if either would recover from what Tina had done to them. But Tina was Tina and in the end after all the obstacles she faced, she was able to get back to where she wanted to be, where she should be, with her family, with Bette.

Bette reached for her coffee and furrowed her brows as she took a look at what Shane had been reading.  "Hey," looking at Shane, "Isn't that a review of Dana's?"  Bette said taking the Magazine from Shane.

"A review of Dana's?  Why didn't you tell us?"  Alice squealed over hearing Bette as she, Nat and Nat's two children walked up to the table. "What does it say?"

Bette began to read, "While most restaurants are wrapping up from lunch and prepping for dinner between 2 and 5 p.m., the gregarious folks at Dana's are waiting to welcome the afternoon strays.  As you sip one of the flavorful cocktails, you'll be entertained by the menu's flirty double entendres and tributes to the owner, Shane McCuchinson's family, one of which is the namesake of the popular establishment." Bette paused and lifted her head smiling at Shane.