60. Forgetting & Fights

Start from the beginning

Veronica's eyes narrow. "Alright... I talked to Pete too, he said he's done his job for now."

"That's what I expected. Thank you, dear, now off you pop."

Chloe's brows furrow as she watches Veronica walk back to the elevator. "Is that how you always treat your... toys?"

"Yes. You say that like it's a bad thing."

"Nyxeus, do you see every human as just a play thing?"

The draxon frowns. "Well, not you or Dan or Trixie or Ella or Linda..."

"That's not a good thing, Nyx, if you view everyone else like that."

"Isn't it?" Nyx's head tilts, confused. "I think it's rather good, it means I can protect you better."

"How?" Chloe asks.

"Why would I risk your life to save someone I don't care about? You humans are all doomed to die eventually, but your lives will not end early."

"That's..."

"Not actually a bad mindset," Lucifer says.

Chloe looks at him, "Lucifer—"

"Hear me out, Detective." The devil moves to stand beside the draxon. "He's right, you'll die eventually. And there's hundreds of things that could kill you before old age, especially on a job like yours. I don't know about you, but I feel better knowing someone like Nyxeus—mad as he is—is watching you and keeping you safe."

"I've been fine for years on this job, Lucifer."

"Yes, but before you didn't have Michael pulling strings like he is now. Just... let him do it? I'm not ready to lose you."

Chloe sighs, looking at the two divines, one watching her, the other having gotten distracted playing with the first's hands despite the occasional slightly-annoyed look being shot at him.

"Nyxeus, go explore the penthouse please," Lucifer says eventually, pulling his hands from the draxon's grasp.

Nyx brightens at the idea and rushes off. Chloe can hear him curiously talking to the air—"Is this glass? Oh, it lights up too! Look at this!"—as he wanders through the deeper part of the penthouse.

Lucifer rolls his eyes fondly before turning back to the woman, both of them smiling slightly at the draxon's antics.

"Alright," Chloe says. "I'll let him do what he wants, but Lucifer, try to keep him... less borderline-sociopathic..."

"I make no promises on that," the devil replies. "I mean, you know him and no matter how much he listens to me, he's still his own person and a very powerful person at that."

Chloe nods. "I know... I better go, get some rest before tomorrow."

Lucifer nods in understanding. He opens his mouth to speak but before he can, Nyx's shout cuts him off.

"Luci?! This coffee stuff doesn't make sense! The picture is a cup of brown liquid but there's powder stuff in the can! It doesn't taste very good either, why would you eat this?!"

The devil's eyes widen. "On second thought, Detective, stay a while and help me?"

"Lucifer, what happened to Nyxeus?"

The devil looks at the white-haired woman. "He got into the coffee. I managed to get him distracted, but I don't know how long it'll last."

La'rayel raises a brow. "Distracted, huh?"

Both divines look at the draxon who's currently using one of the many papers spread across the glass table to make paper cuts along his forearm. A few trickles of blood roll down his skin, the edge of the paper being stained red.