"Brian and his big brother Jimmy are great guys. Jimmy's mega-famous, but it didn't get to his head. And well...I know things, but it's something Brian should tell you."

"He's your friend." I smile. "It's okay."

Annie rubs my shoulder and winks. "Okay, we'll eat first and paint our nails later. Deal?"

My smile mirrors hers. "Deal."

***

While we're waiting for the nail polish to dry, we're watching a romantic movie Annie chose. My hands have never looked this pretty. Annie taught me how to do a manicure and said she learned it from her mom.

Mac arrives home. His eyes light up when he enters the room and sees Annie.

"Doing girls' shit, Birdie?" When she nods, Mac presses a kiss to her forehead.

"'Kay, girls, I gotta get ready, and then I'm out," Mac says before leaving.

When he's changed, he crouches down next to his girlfriend to kiss her on the lips. "I won't be home too late, but don't wait up for me."

"Okay," Annie whispers and kisses him back.

When he's almost out, she stops him. "Kenzie."

Mac halts in the doorway and looks at her. "Yeah?"

"Be careful driving."

Mac smiles and nods. "You know my rule — no booze if I take the car. Have fun, girls."

"Thank you," I say.

Mac leaves, and Annie lets out a huff and frowns, leaning back on the couch.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Kenzie's going out with his friends, and stupid Leonard wants them to go to a strip club."

"Are you worried?"

Annie shrugs. "I trust him, but you've seen my boyfriend: all that ink and the piercings and his muscles. Girls stare at him all the time. I can't blame them, but where the guys are going, the dancers show off their bodies, and not much is going on here." Annie puts her hands on her breasts, and we both laugh.

"Wait," I say when her words sink in. "Is Brian going, too?"

She nods. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you."

"I'm not his girlfriend; Brian's free to do whatever he wants," I say, trying to hide the sting of inexplicable jealousy I feel.

"You're a bad liar, Leah." Annie smirks. "You like him, and that's okay. He's way better than Gavin the prick. Why did you even date him? He makes me wanna throw up."

"I was new in town, and he approached me at school. Gavin didn't have a warning sign glued to his back. I checked."

Annie giggles. "Whatever. Was he at least decent in the bed department?"

I blush. "We only kissed, but not like with Brian."

"Not like with Brian, huh?" Annie wiggles her eyebrows.

I bury my flushed face in my palms and groan. "Yes! I felt nothing with Gavin, and with Brian, it's—"

"Wet down there?"

My eyes flare. "Annie!"

Annie laughs, throwing her head back. "Tell me I'm wrong," she says when she's calmed down.

"You're not. I'm just so inexperienced it's ridiculous."

"So was I my first time. Kenzie was a virgin, too. We were both nervous, and he was afraid to hurt me, but it was wonderful anyway. The second time was amazing, and the following ones even better. If you do it with the right guy, you won't have to worry about your lack of experience."