c h i t t a p h o n

Start from the beginning

He let out a sigh of comfort, if such a feeling could be felt in such a place as this. Closing his eyes, he decided not to mind the person near him, just breathing calmly as he tried to clear his mind of his tiredness.

It was harder to live at night with insomnia when you were forced to take pills that it harder to stay awake.

The person next to him spoke out of surprise to Jungwoo, making him jerk a little while his eyes flew open out of their own will. "Not going to say hello?"

Oh crap. It was the one person he did not want to speak to in this entire building.

He turned his head and faced the other with a small, awkward smile. Something in him churned with excitement when he saw the familiar smile directed toward him. "Hi, Doyoung."

The patient was in his white scrubs, identical to the ones Jungwoo was wearing. The same white slippers dressed his feet, which were crossed as one leg held the higher ground with a raised knee. In his hands was something he'd never thought would be allowed for a patient in a mental hospital.

"Where'd you get the cigarette?" Jungwoo asked cautiously, his words slow as he looked at the burning red cigarette tip, seemingly lit not too long ago.

A warm chuckle escaped Doyoung's lips. It warmed up Jungwoo from the inside, and he had the sudden urge to come in closer and have the other wrap his arms around his body. "This lil' thing? You find ways around everything once you've been here for long enough."

Jungwoo blushed from the two dark brown crystals that watched his every move in amusement. He looked away, clearing his throat before speaking, "Can I ask something?"

The sound of lips blowing another puff of hot smoke was heard before Doyoung replied, "Sure thing, bun."

Jungwoo hoped his cheeks weren't that visibly hot as he continued with his question. "I...I heard rumors. About you," he looked back at Doyoung, who was listening with interest, "Are you really a serial killer? Where you here for a whole eight years, since you were only 13? How can you be a serial killer that young?"

When he ran out of breath he got swept with shyness again, biting his lip as he anticipated what Doyoung would say next.

"You certainly have a lot of questions," Doyoung smirked. He took his time answering, sucking and blowing out smoke in a somewhat delicate manner. "I'll answer all of them, since you seem so eager to know about me."

He dropped his arm to lay on his lap, sitting up straight so he could be at the same level as the face of the boy who sat right in front of him.

"All of it is true to an extent, but also not. I'm not a serial killer, but I've committed murder. I'm 21 years old, but I've only been here for five years," Doyoung admitted, watching Jungwoo with honest eyes for a reaction.

Jungwoo didn't know whether to feel relaxed or more nervous now that Doyoung disproved the rumors. It was good that he wasn't a serial killer, but he was still inexcusably responsible for taking a life, or maybe more than one life, even.

He wanted to believe that the smile held nothing sinister beneath it, but he just wasn't sure of much about this person yet.

As for a visible reaction, his lips formed an "o" shape and he nodded the subject off, looking higher up the dark colored stall that Doyoung was sitting up against.

They sat in silence until rings and small clouds of smoke floated up into the air, which meant Doyoung had started to smoke again. Jungwoo watched as they flowed into different shape of dark, dusty air, eventually floating up higher than the top of the stalls and dispersed into mere particles.

Doyoung broke the silence this time, "How old are you? You look about my age."

Jungwoo looked down to meet eyes with Doyoung. "Nineteen," he simply said.

"Want a cigarette?"

"I think they're gross, to be honest," Jungwoo politely declined.

He watched Doyoung dig into the deep pockets of his white scrub pants, fishing out a small object. "Lollipop, then?"

Jungwoo's ears perked up at the mention of the sweet, staring at it in Doyoung's outstretched hand. After a couple seconds he broke out into a shy smile and nodded, taking the lollipop. Their hands brushed against each other gently during the exchange.

Doyoung's fingers felt soft to the touch. Comforting.

"You like sweets, I'm guessing," Doyoung watched with a grin as Jungwoo took the wrapper off of the purple colored sucker.

"Not too picky," Jungwoo popped it into his mouth, swirling it around with his tongue. In his hand he crushed the wrapper, giving it back to Doyoung when he gestured for him with an outstretched hand once more.

The rest of the time spent in the bathroom was fairly quiet, each boy having his own treat. They stole glances and stares every now and then, until finally the cigarette had burned out halfway and the lollipop was sucked down to the stick.

The next new sound was a bell ringing on loudspeakers that were hung almost everywhere in the building, echoing through the rooms. The sound came on each day when it was five minutes until lights out, which meant that they had to get back to their rooms before doors closed for the night.

Jungwoo stood up quickly, "I should probably get going. You're going to your room too, right?"

Doyoung chuckled, standing up with a nod. He shoved the cigarette into his pocket and led them to the sinks, washing his hands with soap to get the smell off of his skin. "Make sure you change your clothes before you sleep. Or else you'll smell of cigs, and its not that pleasant if the doctors notice."

Nodding, Jungwoo looked at Doyoung's pretty reflection in the mirror once more before heading to the door. "I'll get going first, then," he said quietly.

"Goodnight, darling," Doyoung smiled, waving him off.

Jungwoo nodded, "Goodnight."

He almost found it hard to push past the light weight of the door, this time his fingers lingered longer on the metal and wood before opening it. He stole another sneaky glance at Doyoung before finally walking out into the white corridors that lead away from the boy.

Hopefully today it wouldn't be as hard to fall asleep in the darkness, but Jungwoo doubted it. His mind was racing faster than when he had left to go to the bathroom in the first place.

a/n

long chapter long tea long interaction between the two boys

Today was my first day of school and honestly, I don't think my teachers are that bad. I think I have my last year physics teacher for chem lab this year tho, and he's a meanie ;-;

Hope you like this long chapter! <3