chapter 01

☆ ━━ 【 the phantoms 】 ━━ ☆

Kimberly walked along Hollywood, right in front of a venue called; The Orpheum. Her eyes were watching her feet as she kept herself distracted. She didn't really want to see the happy families or couples that were out on the Hollywood night. They reminded her that she could only watch from a distance. 

She had come to the conclusion that she was dead sixteen years ago. She had decided then that she'd check up on her friends and family often; mortified that she had left them so soon. She had seen her family and friends go through so much through the years.

Marley and Colton had broken up shortly after her death, the two parted and Marley moved away. Colton stayed in LA and continued to make music working from some bar in an alleyway. 

His best friend AJ had surprisingly, been doing well. . . even married Kimberly's older sister; Maggie. They had a cute kid, Ross. He was most likely sixteen by now. It had been a while since Kimberly checked in on them.

She never paid too much attention to the people she walked pass, just enough to stay out of their way. . . Until she heard her own name. It was very possible that someone had been calling for a different Kimberly, but the voices sounded familiar in the back of her brain. She slowly stopped, turning her head to look over her shoulder.

There stood three boys she hadn't seen since she was nine. She hadn't even seen them as ghosts. Her eyebrows furrowed as she turned fully, taking in Luke, Reggie, and Alex, making sure it was them. They still wore the same clothes they were in when they left her house with Maggie. The same thing since 1995.

"Dude, she can see us." Reggie pointed out, elbowing Luke's ribcage.  Luke smacked him lightly, shaking his head. "There's no way." Alex turned to his band mates, agreeing with Reggie. "'Think about it, if it really was our Kim, she'd be older." 

Kimberly looked down at herself. The ripped jeans and leather jacket really telling them that she was still seventeen. "But she looks like our Kim." Luke added on, stepping over to her to look at her better. 

"She can hear and see you, and she is your Kim." She finally replied, looking back up at the boys. The shock wearing down after a few seconds. She had thought they moved on. Not that she was watching for them, but she had figured since she didn't see them - they were fully gone.

Luke looked at the other two boys, sorrow in their eyes. "How old are you?"  Alex asked, just hoping she was really young looking for someone who should be in their early thirties. 

Kimberly shrugged, her hands going to the pockets on her jacket. "Seventeen." Reggie put his hand out, wishing it would just go through her, but instead, he just ended up lightly whacking her. "Since 2004." She added on. The look on her face told the boys what they had suspected. She was a ghost too.

Reggie didn't hesitate to pull the girl into a hug, tightly. She hugged him back. This was the first hug she had in sixteen years, she had almost forgotten what it felt like. She practically melted into the boy, digging her face into his own leather jacket. 

Once Reggie let her go, Alex embraced her next. Kimberly was like the little sister he didn't have. She was always so sweet and loving, had looked at Alex like a brother. He used to read her bedtime stories before gigs. 

His hug was tighter than Reggie's squeezing her around the waist as he lifted her the smallest bit. Alex kissed her forehead, muttering something about missing her. She nodded in agreeance. She had missed him as well.

Once he released her, she looked at Luke with a soft smile. Though the boy still couldn't believe that Kimberly Lewis was standing there, able to touch and talk to. "You're dead?" He asked, grabbing her shoulders, just to confirm. Kim placed her hands on top of his, nodding. "Yeah, I fell off a stage, I think." She still wasn't sure what had happened that night. 

Luke didn't say anything just pulled her into a hug. Kimberly closed her eyes as she wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging him just as tightly as he hugged her. She really didn't want to let go of them, of Luke. She was so touch-starved. Yet, she still pulled back when Luke did.

Kimberly had almost forgotten how cute Luke was. The same school girl crush she had on him resparking just with the hug. She remembered Maggie teasing her about it. Telling her that maybe Luke would like her back when she was older. . . neither of them got older though.

"How's Mags?" Reggie asked when they finally pulled out of the hug. Kimberly shrugged. "I haven't checked in on her in a year. She's got a kid, though. Ross. She married my band-mate." At the words band-mate, they all stared at her. 

"Band-mate?" "Excuse me?" "You were in a band." 

Kimberly smiled wide and nodded. "Yeah, the Dew Drops. We were pretty killer, no pun intended. We were playing the Roxy the night I fell." She explained, bouncing. 

She could still remember the way she felt that night. The euphoric feeling of the crowd screaming her's and Marley's lyrics, dancing along with the music AJ and Colton had written. That cloud nine moment that lasted, what felt like, an eternity. 

Luke nodded slowly, "Hmm, I wonder who inspired you." 

Kimberly tapped her chin, pretending to think. "I don't think you know the band. They were kind of lame and their lead singer had a bad habit of wearing too many cut-offs." They laughed.

"C'mon, Kimmy. You can crash with us tonight, we've got this garage with all our music stuff still in it." Luke wrapped his arm around her shoulders, tugging her to walk again. The other two boys joining on either side. 

It felt nice to be able to touch someone again, so Kimberly didn't shrug his arm off. She didn't even mind when Alex grabbed her hand like he was leading her across a busy street, again. 

"We've got so much catching up to do." "Yeah, like, did this band inspire any of your songs?" Kimberly leaned forward a bit to look at Reggie. "We had a song called 'Where the Sunset Curves' if that's what you're asking." Reggie seemed content with her answer.

If anyone were able to see the four of them in that moment, it would look a lot like Sunset Curve was walking with Maggie. Heading to a gig for the night, ready to rock the place. It warmed Kim's heart to think that this is what it was like for her sister and that she always had a good time when she was with the boys. Though it saddened her that she never got to truly experience a night out with Sunset Curve while they were all alive.

"Wait, did you say you were living in a garage that had all of your guys' music stuff?" Luke just nodded at her, not explaining any further.