Chapter 13: The Unbound

Start from the beginning

"Ra's coming," she said to Paolo. "We must begin. You should leave the circle. Once Ra is free, he may try to take you."

"No. Keep reading," said Paolo. He unwrapped the package. Inside was a spearhead attached to a broken haft. "It will work and I will make sure you are safe."

"You must go!"

Paolo showed no sign of leaving.

Lucy was sliced with fear. If she stopped the ceremony now, she didn't know what would happen. But if Paolo stayed, Ra could bind himself to the old man, or worse, Paolo could try to bind Ra. Where were Carlo and Drusus?

Ra dived into the circle. He changed his form several times: an old man holding a cane. A boy sitting in the middle of a lotus flower. A giant falcon. The small boy again. Lucy and the boy were connected by a sinuous thread, each end knotted into their chests. She stared, hypnotized by its metallic sheen.

Set us both free. The boy was solemn. Lucy reached to touch his face.

No. In the end, she couldn't let him go. It felt like cutting away herself. Ra and she were one piece, two facets of a glittering gem.

"Break the tie," said Paolo. "Say the words!"

The Binding tie was a delicate rope woven from metal, promises, and lies.

The small boy transformed again, into the falcon Ra, as large as Lucy herself. "I have to say the words," Lucy said. "And I can't. I'm sorry, Ra, but we must have the Trial. This isn't right."

You are mine. It is as I said. I am already free. You are the slave.

"I will not have this," said Paolo. "You have cast the circle, but you will not say the words. Enough of this folly! I will have Ra!" Using the spear, he sawed at the Binding rope.

Lucy fumbled for the spear, but she could not touch it.

"Oh no," said Paolo. "You are connected to a demon. The Spear of Longinus is not for you. Isis's Scroll could never free Ra! But this can!"

Lucy grasped the broken haft and the shock of rapture threw her to the outer edge, where the circle would be marked if it hadn't sunk into the water. Where had Paolo Borgia found the spear that was used to kill Christ? It really existed? Another powerful item that could be used against demons—no—gods? Paolo hacked at the white thread, its edges fraying. Then, the world became a maelstrom and the Binding tie snapped with a delicate chink.

Ra winged his way into the sky. Free! His voice shook the heavens.

Lucy crawled toward Paolo, his arms open wide as though to accept Ra's embrace. "You can't!" she said.

"The demon is mine!" Paolo roared.

I am no one's, save whom I choose.

"You must belong to one of us, if you wish to carry out your plans," said Paolo. "You may choose me."

Paolo could hear Ra? "What plans?" Lucy looked from Paolo to Ra.

"Ra wants to control the Egyptian gods. He wants to be the wielder of the Solomon Scroll, and to wield it, he needs a human puppet. You were that puppet, but now he has no tie to you and he will return to the Abyss unless he chooses another host." Paolo shouted upward, "You can walk the Earth now, Ra, but you can make no difference here unless you possess a soul. I offer you my assistance."

Lucy climbed to her feet. "You... want to be Ra's puppet?"

"Oh no," said Paolo. "You would be a puppet. Ra and I will be partners."