Chapter 10 - The Truth

"Freddie is indeed your father..." Robert finally says. "The only reason we were keeping it from you is because of what happened to Freddie after you were born. Your mother, Charlotte..." Robert stopped and leaned his head up toward the sky, blinking back tears. "Your mother Charlotte was cursed. She had to pay for what Freddie did."

"What did he do that was so bad?"

"Freddie killed Adams father... If anyone from Heaven were to kill anything, or anyone, no matter how evil, someone meaningful is taken away from the person who did it... It's called The Karma Curse. It works in fairness. Punch out someone's tooth, you also loose a tooth. Cut off someone's limb, you also loose that limb. Kill somebody... You loose somebody. Do you understand?" Jimmy explained.

"I do... But, why would he kill Adams father?"

"Do you remember what we told you, how you weren't the only one Adam has done this to? Well, like I said, you weren't the first. In fact, it's happened two other times before. After a second attempt, while also loosing Anita and Roger, their protectors, Freddie finally snapped. He decided he was going to go down and retrieve everybody, and get rid of the man doing it all- Adams father. But at that time, Adam was still a little boy, so he sent Adam to a daycare center to be taken care of in Heaven... But Adam was a terrible boy... He was much like his father... He was just as evil, just as heartless... As Adam turned 22, he had enough of the way everybody was in Heaven, and he never forgave Freddie for what he did to his father... And so he ran away... Leaving only a note." Jimmy went on

"Charlotte passed while giving birth to you, Amanda. You were their own child. Of course, Adam always kept an eye on what went on in the palace at all times to find the right time for him to make his move. He must have been conjuring up spells from magic spell books and curses from long ago for this very moment. So after Adam took you, Freddie was devastated... Truly heartbroken. He had already lost Charlotte, and he knew he was going to loose you." Robert adds

"Adam took you at 13. Freddie didn't know where to find you, for he had no idea that he snuck his way to Hell again. The only thing he could really do is have your guardian angel take care of the rest. Freddie could not bare going down there again and causing more pain in his life. The karma curse might have taken you away too."

"How long has Brian been my guardian angel?"

"Ever since you were born... Freddie has given you an angel in hopes you will be protected at all times from the forces of evil, and happy. Brian is a strong spirit, a very strong angel, and almost nothing could get through him to get to you. Freddie knew that he was perfect for you by letting all of the Angels hold you when you were born. You'd hold his fingers and nibble them and laugh, and he got you to fall asleep in his arms almost instantly... He even got you to dance and laugh whenever he played guitar and sing to you silly old folk songs. Freddie could never accomplish this, so he thought Brian was an absolute best choice to protect you."

"Does ... Does he even love me? Did Freddie ever take care of me? Or did he just ... Give me away?"

"Don't get the wrong idea!! Oh goodness, Freddie was the best father to you! In fact, he loved you very much. He would almost never let anybody see you growing up because he was so protective of you. But that is all the same reason why Adam did what he did."

"I think I get it now. Freddie killed his father, so he wanted to kidnap me so it would hurt Freddie."

"Correct. You got it."

"But why didn't you want me to know any of this?"

They give another heavy sigh. "It's because of your past. It would seem a lot easier to tell you that you belong in heaven than to tell you that you've been kidnapped. Plus, Freddie was so ashamed of his actions to ever tell you this story, so please, never tell him that we told you. He would behead us in moments."