chapter one

warnings - n/a :-) , a/n is at the end of chapter x

Groaning, you covered your eyes from the sun that was beaming through your blinds. A massive headache came rushing in which only made you lay back down, summoning up the strength to try and get out of bed.

It had been another hopeless night back in Encino and you couldn't remember why you had such high hopes for this place again. Your job had decided to reassign you at another branch in California and just your luck, it was where you grew up and had more than enough memories of. Part of you didn't mind being relocated here as you were already familiar but another part of you prayed everyday that you wouldn't run into anyone from your past.

When you left Encino for college, you had decided to put that part of your life behind you. Some friendships you had grown and even relationships you had. It was a tough decision but you found it best as you wanted to start new. You felt as though you had to leave to forget the damage the town had caused you. But nonetheless, you still missed the good times you had with friends and those memories tugged at your heart when you were relocated back here.

Finally gaining the courage to get out of bed, you started your day with throwing on a pair of leggings and a t-shirt before going to into your small kitchen and making yourself a cup of coffee to help ease the hangover you had gained from last night. You had gone on a blind date that your new friend from work, Lily, set up for you. Nonetheless, you thought it had gone horribly and had realized why you didn't really enjoy blind dating. 

Throughout the night, the guy had done nothing but speak about himself and his own accomplishments which irked you to the point where you got up towards the end of the date and left, not wanting to hear anything more about his narcissistic ego.

Checking your phone, you saw your friend Lily had texted you, asking how the date went and you rolled your eyes, replying with what happened last night. 

You looked out your apartment window and let out a sigh, deciding that you would take the day to drive around Encino to see what has changed or not. Finishing up your coffee and taking some aspirin, you grabbed your keys and phone and headed out the door and towards your car.

-

You had stopped by some places that you knew would still be up. The arcade and mini golf places which you decided to take some time checking out, smiling as all the fun memories came rushing back to you. The nights that you and your friend, Ali, would go to and even when Daniel would tag along. 

All three would have a competition as to who would get the most tickets in one night or just simply see who could get the highest score in whichever game you guys decided on for the night. Leaving the place with a small smile on your face, you got back into your car and started driving down the road, blasting your music with the windows down. You always did this when you felt as though you needed to take a little bit of the edge off and it always helped.

Driving through each spot in Encino, it did make you a bit anxious. You truly didn't want to see anyone from your past that you had here growing up but then another part of you knew that it was bound to happen and you needed to prep yourself for the unexpected.

While at the stop light, you looked up to see a giant billboard and couldn't help but let your jaw drop. There was a huge sign for 'LaRusso Auto Group' with Daniel on it. You let out a small laugh before tapping the steering wheel lightly with your palm.

"Wow" you said lightly before being pulled from your thoughts with the person behind you honking at you to go since you had the green light. Raising your hand lightly to apologize to them, you continued driving with the thought of the billboard still flooding your mind. Expect the unexpected.

Pulling over into the nearest stirp mall, you got out your car to go to the small store there to grab something to drink and maybe a snack before heading to your next destination which was the beach. 

Grabbing a bottle of soda and a bag of chips nearby, you walk over to the counter where the guy was looking you up and down before pressing the buttons on the register. Looking over, you saw a yellow flyer with someone familiar on it. Paying the guy, you turned your attention fully to the ad before realizing who it was. Johnny Lawrence. Promoting Cobra Kai. 

"Son of a bitch" you said, lowly, taking the flyer from the cork board and walking out. You looked at the bottom of the flyer and saw it was the same address that you were at. Turning to the side you saw the large cobra snake on the window and you stopped in your tracks.

You could do one of two things right now, you thought to yourself. You could crumble up the piece of paper and head towards the beach like you had planned before seeing the ad. Or you could go to the dojo and see as to why he would want to reinstitute something that ruined apart of your life. Both of your lives.

Before you could decide, your feet and legs all of a sudden had a mind of their own as you began moving towards the dojo and stood infront of the door before you let out a breath. You pulled open the door and it made a chiming sound.

Stepping inside and looking around, you saw that it was a bit rundown. Wires were exposed, the floors were dusty, paint was chipping on the walls. You saw a young boy cleaning a window to the small office ahead of you before he turned around and gave you a sweet smile.

"Sensei, I think we have our first student" he said, placing down the spray bottle and rag before coming up to you. You smiled back at him as he stood infront of you before outstretching his hand.

"I'm Miguel. I'm glad you're here so I won't have to train alone" he said as you shook his hand before letting out a chuckle.

"I'm sorry, I'm not here to train. I'm here to see an old-" before you finished your sentence, you looked up to see Johnny in the doorway, looking at you with a shocked expression and still as a statue. 

"Friend" you said, lifting your sunglasses you had put on and pushing them into your hair as you gave Johnny a small smile.

Expect the unexpected.

------

a/n: ahh! chapter 1 done! I sorta have like big twists and turns for this story and I am so excited about it! I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! feedback is always appreciated :-) much love + stay safe! x