Chapter One: The Operation

The world. The world is too crowded with ordinary people for me. As a 16 year old, I may say that I’ve never really went half way around the world and count the people I see, but as the way that I see it, it will still be as crowded as ever. Polluted by our stink and downright too occupied in the mere future.

It was just an ordinary day for me, like any other school day, as our Physics teacher continue to babble in front of the class, when half of them are asleep, it was so boring. As I said it, the world is full of ordinary people. They are too much common. I don’t see someone that will yank my head off my hands and stare at her like I was slapped in my face. But, unfortunately, no one has ever gotten to me. I guess no one’s good enough for me here.

My name is Brian; blue eyes, brown hair and just your very normal guy. I really don’t how to describe myself, but as the way I see it, I’m just as common as every one of you there.

I stared at the sky, letting my eyes wonder at the never ending blue. From a lot of people I know, I think my life is just going to be the same as everyone else will. I’ll go to college, have a job, get married and have kids, watch them grow up, have grand children and wait for my retirement then go sit on a rocking chair, while watching the sunset with my so beloved, wrinkled-face wife. Just a second, my entire future flashed before my eyes. I can’t bear to see it so clearly and I was actually afraid if that will be my future. I want something more.

There was something about the blue sky that day as I stared at it, memories flashing back in my mind. I stared a lot at the sky; one memory caught me off guard, maybe because the sky was the last thing I saw that day after hours of horror.

It was 11 years ago, I was staring at the blue sky that day too, August 15 to be precise and it was morning. We were in the hospital and I was doodling on the moist glass window. I was young, fragile and sick. I know I was sick, why wouldn’t I be in a hospital, wearing a patient’s gown if I weren’t? I was just standing there; feeling of something that’s bad is going to happen. It haunted me, but I swallowed it. As I stare up the sky, patches of gray clouds appeared coming to cover the blue.

“Mommy,” I remember calling her. She stood up right from the bench where she was sitting, and then she kneeled in front of me.

“Yes my dear?” she choked out, trying to make her voice even. I really don’t look like my mom, apart from the curly, brown hair.

“It’s going to rain isn’t it?” I asked her, pointing at the sky, my voice sounding so innocent, but the fear in my chest nestled within. She looked up.

“Oh I don’t know my dear, maybe it will” she replied, trying to make the atmosphere a little better, as she tucked her beige blouse between her arms. She refocused her eyes on me, almost tearing up with tears.

Then just at that time, it started to rain.

“See, it’s raining!” I told her then I smiled. She tried her best to smile too but tears started to fall down her face. My face turned sour as soon as she scowled under her blouse. “Don’t worry mommy, I’m going to be okay.” I assured her, sounding like an adult.

She looked up at me, her eyes shimmering with tears that broke my heart. She forced a smile weakly and hugged me as tight as ever I could remember. I hugged back, though my arms couldn’t reach that far.