09

It was decided that they would strike at night. Peter, Caspian and a few of the Narnian leaders discussed it late into the day. They argued over the plan late into the evening. Caspian was forced to explain as much about the castle as he could, repeating the guard shifts and the timings again and again. Peter paced, hand on the pommel of his sword as he listened to the others suggest ideas. After a few hours, the plan was formulated and everyone knew their role.

Peter looked over the hall, full of flickering torches. He was stood on top of a blacksmith's anvil so that he could see everyone. The torch light reflected off everyone's faces, animal and human alike as they listened. "We shall strike tomorrow night", He announced. "So get some sleep. Tomorrow we shall storm the castle". The room filled with cheering and animal calls at Peter's words. The sound began to die as everyone broke off to groups to go to bed.

Peter deflated slightly and jumped down. He ran a hand through his hair and grinned over his siblings. The rest of the Pevensies had been standing slightly to the side as Peter talked, visible but allowing Peter to take the limelight. Otto was leaning against the wall behind them. Peter waved at him to come closer and he crossed over to join them. "How about we test your skills before bed Otto", he suggested. Otto nodded.

"While you two try to kill each other, we're going to bed", Edmund muttered. He yawned and stretched his arms. Lucy nodded, also yawning widely. Susan smiled at Otto and rolled her eyes fondly, before tugging her younger siblings away.

"May I join you?" A voice asked. Prince Caspian was standing at their shoulders. Peter's expression soared slightly at his appearance.  Caspian noticed this. "I'm sure you have a lot to teach me and I am always hoping to improve my sword skills King Peter". The flattery appeared to work as Peter relaxed slightly and nodded in permission. Otto huffed at Peter's petty jealousy. He was jealous of the fact that Caspian could live and rule in Narnia just like he had. Peter knee that at the end of this, he would leave again.

The main hall was practically empty now. All the sleeping areas having been set up in the other chambers, or outside for some of the Narnians. Peter and Otto moved out into the centre of the room. Caspian retreating back to a safe distance to watch. Otto took a deep breath and spun the spear blade over his head before falling back into a fighting stance. The pole gripped tightly in both hands. Several paces away, Peter unsheathed his sword and fell into his own fighting stance. The torch light emphasising the gold of his hair and the shine of the blade. Their eyes met and they stared at each other for a long moment. Otto's gaze was blank with calm ease. While Peter's glimmered with sharpness.

Otto stuck first. Then spear point jabbing out in a assessing way that Peter easily deflected with the point of his blade. Peter swung his sword round and began trying to move closer. Every time he got within a certain distance, Otto was blocking the attack and returning with one of his own. The length of his spear able to keep Peter a distance away. Not good when using a sword, which was designed for close proximity. After several minute of this, Otto almost playfully batting away Peter's attempts to get closer, Peter groaned loudly in frustration. "Are you going to let me get serious with you Birch? Or are you going to keep playing?"

"What?" Otto smirked. "Not used to fighting against a spear your majesty?" He deflected another attempt to step in closer and swiped the spear point round in a arch. Peter was forced to step back to avoid a slash across his chest. He twisted under it and managed to bring his blade up over Otto's head. Otto caught it on the strong wood of the pole, the two boys locked close.

Peter let out a gasp as Otto kicked him in the chest and danced away. The blonde staggered back slightly before regaining his balance and moving forwards a to attack again. Otto spun the spear in his hands, over the back of his shoulders and round his body in a dizzying arch. Each time Peter went to strike, he was deflected. Normal swordplay unable to counter the speed and length of a spear. Each attack Peter tried was blocked with increasing speed. Otto was spinning the spear round his body faster and faster. His feet moved round as he twisted with his weapon, almost dancing closer and closer. Peter was panting heavily with exertion as he went for a low strike. The spear blade came up twisted round Peter's arm so that he was forced to drop his sword. Within seconds Peter was half knelt on the floor. Otto standing over him, the blade of his spear pointed down at Peter's neck. Both boys sweaty and breathing heavily.