Chapter Twelve

Sam was completely right. It was my turn to make the first move, my time to prove to Jack that I always  loved him and most likely always will. I was on a mission, I knew if I didn't do this right now, I probably never would. I practically floated down the corridor until I reached Jack's office. He was standing over his desk and he looked up and smiled as I walked in. In my head I had a plan to sit him down and tell him how I felt but in that moment that idea completely vanished.

I ended up walking right up to him, grabbing his face and pushing my lips to his. He hesitated for a moment before kissing me back. I leaned out of the kiss slowly before realizing it was time to use words and I couldn't just stand there like an idiot.

"Jack I know you always tell me how stubborn I am and that you were always the one who fought for me, so I thought it was my time to fight. Jack I love you, I always have. I tried to convince myself over these past few years that I didn't and that I would eventually get over you and I really thought I had, but coming back here and seeing you again, just brought everything back and made me realise how much I miss having you in my life and everything going on with my mom showed me that life is too short to not go after what you want" I said before letting out a sigh of relief that I got it off my chest.

I wore a huge smile on my face as I waited in anticipation for him to tell me he felt the same way and he had been waiting for me to make the first move, but he didn't. My smile faded as I lost hope of him saying anything. "Oh God" He said in a stressed tone as he sat down on the side of his desk and put his face in his hands. I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. It literally felt like someone was squeezing my chest together.

"Kendall, I am so so sorry, I should have told you this before.." He began a look of self disgust in his eye. "What?" I asked him, getting worried. "Oh God...Kendall I'm engaged" He told me almost laughing, tears almost in his eyes. My heart completely fell at that moment. "Wh-what?" I asked getting slightly choked up. "I know I should have told you but I don't know..I was enjoying spending time with you and I thought that would ruin it.." He admitted. "I can't believe you kept this from me? How could you? I can't believe this" I said shaking my head. "Kendall" Jack said attempting to grab my arm but I pulled it away. "I'm sorry it's my fault, I know I led you on but I think it was just because there are still some feelings there and I couldn't keep them back" He said trying to justify his actions. "I can't believe you could be that selfish" I said looking at him in utter disgust.

"I know.." He said looking down."I just poured my heart out to you and you tell me you're engaged?" I said unable to comprehend the situation "I'm so sorry, I should have stayed away" He admitted. "Yeah you really should have" I told him before storming out just in time for him not to see me cry. I practically ran all the way to Sam's office.

When I stepped into the office, a flood of tears came down and Sam stood up quickly to comfort me. "Kendall what happened?" He asked as he pulled me into a hug. "He's engaged" I said through my tears. There was a silence from Sam for a moment. "I know..." He finally admitted and I quickly pushed him off me.

"What? Please tell me this is a joke? How could you keep something like that from me?" I asked him. "Kendall I'm sorry, I honestly thought he would have chosen you. I thought once you came home everything would go back to the way it was" He told me. "Yeah well you couldn't be more wrong. I can't believe you didn't tell me" I said making my way out of his office. "Kendall!" I could hear him call after me but I just kept walking.