Chapter Nine: A Nasty Separation

Start from the beginning

"We should find out why they attacked you," Mal says

"It probably has something to do with New Orleans." Uma says "I wanna go home, just kill them."

Mal agrees and burns them all where they stand.

What was it that one had said? Mal couldn't remember now.

Suddenly, right beside her Uma screams.

Mal turns so quickly and finds Uma yelling her body jerking in on its self and Uma grabbing at her clenching stomach.

"What? What is it? What's the danger?" Mal grabs at Uma but she can't see any danger, she doesn't understand why she's screaming. She brings Mal to the ground and places her in her arms as she continues to scream and more blood begins to drip from her nose. Mal brings her wrist to her mouth and slices her artery with her fangs and puts her wrist in Uma's mouth. "Uma you have to drink, let me heal you," But Uma hasn't stopped screaming, she may choke on Mal's blood, but she has to try something.

It was Mal's concern that was her undoing, she was so focused on her screaming lover she doesn't feel the magic in the air. Another Vampire's power feels like electricity, like all the hair on the back of the neck standing up and if unfamiliar with someone's power it feels like a shock. This power, was not unfamiliar to her, she chose to ignore it.

"Wow Mal, you've really lost your touch." She sighs and punches Mal on the side of the head so hard both she and Uma go flying.

Mal is Dazed; she had to of been hit with something harder than a fist, she was seeing stars and she couldn't help Uma when her entire body slams into a car across the street. Her entire body makes a dent and she groans as her heartbeat slows.

There's another voice as well whispering something in another language, what is that? Latin.

"So Audrey," Mal says as she comes back to full awareness. "You finally decided to show your face again."

Audrey laughs as Mal finally gets a good look at her, she's just as beautiful as Mal remembers.

Her hair was still it's thick chestnut brown, her skin the color of caramel, and her lips in their usual pink pout. Even after hundreds of years Mal still felt that warm rush she use to feel at seeing Audrey.

"What's the meaning of this Audrey," Mal gets up to stand "You told me you didn't want to see me again."

"Well, with our history I thought it was time to return the favor you once gave me,"

"You never even asked me why-"

"I DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHY!" Audrey booms losing control for just one moment her rage getting the best of her, just like it always did before. She takes a breath and smiles again bright and charming "And... neither does Lonnie,"

"What?"

That's when Mal finally noticed, has it been so long since she was challenged that she forgot how to fight against real enemies? So much she was unaware of the extra heartbeat and... Lonnie, one of the members of her line just a few feet away whispering in Latin?

"What the HELL do you think you're doing, Lonnie?" But she doesn't answer, doesn't even look at Mal, she's making eye contact with Uma's unconscious body.

Lonnie was apart of Mal's line, and she was working with Audrey? How had this happened?

Rage filled Mal all over again.

How had this happened? Had she become so relaxed with her people she couldn't even smell out a traitor in her own house? Lonnie had been one of her humans that feeds her most important vampires and she... she had been working Audrey? For how long? For why?