"Quit acting like children," He said. "Why are you fighting?"

"Nothing," Zuko looked away.

"He's being an idiot," Toph said.

The real reason had happened minutes before they arrived at Aang's house that morning. Toph had said if Zuko didn't confess to Aang by the end of the school year, she'd tell him herself.

Of course, Zuko couldn't have that, and was in a worse mood since.

The waitress brought their drinks to the table and set the entire tray down. "I'll get this when you're done."

"Thank you," Aang said again.

Toph started pouring sugar packets into her tea and stirring it. After the 7th packet, Zuko spoke up. "Are you gonna have some tea with that sugar?"

"Shut up!" She said. "I like it sweet."

Zuko rolled his eyes. "Whatever."

Aang hated this. It was like the first day Zuko had shown up, apathetic, unwilling to express emotions other than annoyed.

They finished their drinks, paid, and left again. No one said anything, but it seemed like Zuko and Toph had made up, since his arm was around her shoulders.

"He won't get out," Toph said suddenly, almost an hour later.

"I... know," Zuko said after a moment. "I think."

"There's no way," Aang said. "There's no case there... your mom wasn't abusive or anything, right?"

"No," He said quietly. "She was the only person I actually cared about."

Aang looked down. "And now?"

"Her, and you two," Zuko said, and then added, "I'm not very good at.... giving complements, I can never word them right and it just gets awkward. But I thought I should express this to you both."

Aang slowed his pace to walk next to his friends. Zuko smiled awkwardly.

"Uh... So, as you both know I've been sort of alone? If you call it that, for three years. It feels like longer, after someone can just drop you like that. But... uh... you both are so special, to me, I mean. Aang, if you hadn't come and bugged me until I spoke to you, I probably wouldn't be here right now. I was going through a rough patch, sort of. Toph, you've been so kind, as much as you hit me in the arm. You never let me down, and, and you," Zuko paused and took a deep breath. "You make sure I'm always okay. No one's done that for me, ever, really. My mom did, sometimes, and I guess Iroh is always watching. But no one consistently checks up on me. I think what I'm trying to say is, you mean to me as much as my mother did. I don't know where I'd be right now without you guys."

"That was sappy," Toph grinned, and then hugged him around the waist. "But thank you. And it wasn't that awkward."

Aang joined the group hug. "You've improved our lives just as much."

Toph touched her stomach. "I am kinda hungry though."

"Chinese food right there," Zuko pointed to the store across the street. "Get me a fortune cookie."

"Fine," She huffed.

They watched her cross the street, not that they needed to, she didn't even seem blind. Zuko pulled his hood up as a gust of wind blew by them. Aang did the same.

"I like your new all-hoodie wardrobe," Aang said.

"Ah... Yeah, I just haven't really been up to getting dressed up," He smiled lightly. "I never realized how comfortable sweatpants are either."

The air seemed to be pulled from.their lungs as they heard Aang's phone ring. He fumbled it out of his pocket and held it up to his ear.

"Hello?" He asked.

"This is Iroh," A voice answered. "Please give my nephew the phone."

Aang held it out to Zuko, who just stared at it. He shook his head suddenly, stepping back. Aang grabbed his hand and placed the phone into it.

"It's your uncle," He said, even though Zuko already knew. "Answer it."

He blew out a sigh and held the phone up. "Hey..."

There was a minute of silence, Zuko occasionally would say 'yes,' or 'okay,'. It seemed like hours before he gave the phone back, his hands shaking.

"Well?" Aang put it in his pocket. "What did he say?"

"He got denied," Zuko said, and then huffed a laugh. "He's not getting out... He's not getting out!"

Aang ran his hands through his hair and let out  built up air in his lungs. Zuko couldn't get a smile off his face, and in the excitement he felt,   he grabbed Aang's face and kissed him.

It was quick, and Zuko quickly realized what he'd done, blushing red. Aang was frozen in place.

"Oh my god, sorry, I didn't even think," Zuko said, raising his hands up defensively. "It was like, a heat of the moment kinda thing, y-you know?"

"Yeah," Aang managed. "Uh... it's fine, Zuko."

"Uhm. I'm gonna go tell Toph, I guess," he shuffled his feet on the rocks.

After only a few seconds, he quickly crossed the street. Aang sat down on the traintracks and stared at the ground. He was so stupid. He could've told him, or kissed back or something. Instead he froze. But Aang was also glad he didn't, because Zuko said it was an accident, so he saved himself from embarrassment.

And that was all he could think about the rest of the night.

oop-

i realized im just writinf what I waNt in a friend group which is love and support and being trusting of your friends :<