Chapter 39: Change

Start from the beginning

"It's not like you can see the future."

"I just need you. No one else."

"Are you sure?" Liliane scoffed. She saw a flash of anger in his eyes. "One day, you're going to wake up and realize I'm not the one for you." "Maybe you already have." she whispered.

"That's not true, I—"

"That's what happened." She could see the guilt and pain all over his face. Another sigh escaped her lips. "Your mind became foggy, right?"

"How did you..."

"Almost feels like you're watching your own life unfold in front of you without your control." 

"How..."

She leaned against the wall.

"It happened to me during the attack too. I lost a lot control over my own body."

"Why did that happen to us?"

"Who knows. Maybe it was just a sick twist of fate." she continued,

"What happened or didn't happen with Clara wasn't your fault. It wasn't anyone's."

"If you think so, why did you say I could bring someone else to the palace? I love you, Liliane. I don't need anyone else."

"It's because it wasn't anyone's fault. We don't have a way to stop whatever might happen in the future. You'll probably find someone else, or Clara might come find you again. If that's going to happen, I might as well accept my fate now."

Ren stepped closer. He carefully took Liliane's hand.

"I'm right here. I'm not leaving you again. I promise."

Liliane stared into his eyes.

"Why are you so convinced I'm going to leave you?"

Her eyes glazed over, and tears welled in her eyes.

"I'm not person that's supposed to stand by your side."

"Why are you deciding that for me?"

It was Liliane's turn to stare at her feet.

"All the choices we've made and the paths we've taken led us to this moment one way or another. Even that sick twist of fate brought us here. I choose you, Liliane. And I'll continue to do so. If my destiny is to love someone else, I don't want it. I'll make my own, with you.

If you'll have me, of course."

Time stood still for what felt like an eternity. His hands were warm, just like the day they met. Liliane looked up.

"You might regret this in the future."

"I'll work hard not to."

"You might find someone else you love."

"Impossible."

Liliane opened and closed her mouth a couple more times, thinking of other possible scenarios. 

"What if I stop being myself?"

Ren tilted his head in confusion, but answered.

"I'll learn to love that side of you too."

A smile tug on the corners of Liliane's lips.

"Liliane, do you remember the engagement ball a couple years ago where I gave you that ring?" he interrupted.

Liliane looked at her ring.

"Of course. You sneakily took my hand and put the ring on my finger without saying a word."

"I was shy."

"Oh, were you? I didn't notice."

Ren laughed.

"Can I redo the proposal?" he said. 

"The ceremony is tomorrow."

"I know."

Liliane raised her eyebrow, but took off her ring and handed it to him nonetheless. Before she could retreat her hand, Ren took it gently. 

"Lili, years ago when we first met, I thought you were going to be someone I would come to hate. Fiancées weren't people I came to like at that age, and I thought whoever I would become engaged to me would think the same. 

Surprisingly, you welcomed me with open arms and quickly became my best friend. I could never imagine a life without you in it, as a lover and as a friend.  I'm ashamed that I've hurt you in so many ways, but I promise to do better. 

Whatever may come in the future, I promise to love, care, and protect you from any danger that will harm you."

He dropped onto one knee, and held up the ring.

"Liliane Mary Acton, will you please do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

Ren looked up expectantly into her rosewood eyes, unconsciously gripping her hand a little tighter. A smile crept up on Liliane's lips.

"Yes, I will."