RQ 2

Usually, I go to bed around ten o'clock because I like to watch the sunrise every morning, but my party didn't end until around midnight. So, my routine is going to be a bit different. Emily, Dante, and all of his siblings are going to spend the night in my pack house since I'm home alone. Dante helped carry all my presents that I didn't expect to get into the dining room and then changed into pajamas. My mom and I will go through my presents tomorrow when she gets back. After Dante and his siblings get settled, Emily and I go up to my room.

As soon as I shut my door, Emily runs up to me and holds my hands. "I found my mate!"

"Is that why you disappeared in the crowd?" She nods excitedly.

"His name is Beau (pronounced bow like bow and arrow)." She grins and squeezes my hand.

"What's he like?" I ask and she rattles off how he is so dreamy and a gentleman. Then, she explains how they accidentally ran into each other and proceeded to spend the rest of the evening together while enjoying my party. I smile and congratulate her.

She seems to almost float on air and has a certain glow about her as she goes in my bathroom to change out of her short satin pink dress. I change into a tank top and shorts as my pajamas.

My eyes widen as I remember that I left my heels outside under a table. "Hey, Emily. I'll be back in a few minutes. I left something outside."

She mumbles something similar to okay and I assume she is brushing her teeth. I quickly and quietly go downstairs and outside. I run over to where the party was and grab my heels. I stand up straight and notice a shift in the air. I glance around me and see movement along the border line. A man comes right to the edge and the moon eerily lights up his wicked smile.

"Hello, birthday girl." He sneers and I don't show any difference in my facial expressions or movement. "Come over here so I can give you your present."

The last thing I would actually do is walk over to the creepy stranger. I don't think he would come onto pack land, but I'm not going to show any signs that I'm scared of him. Instead I'm going to be creepy back, but secretly tell the guards that there is an intruder. I begin to sing Heathens by Twenty One Pilots slowly and creepily. Within thirty seconds, the guards are beside me on either side. The creepy man's eyes widen and stumbles backwards. He shifts and sprints away. I see more movement than just him retreating and try to count how many there were, but there is too much movement and blending in with the trees.

"Are you okay, miss?" One of the guards asks.

I nod my head. "I counted four intruders. How many did you guys count?"

"Four." He pauses. "We need to tell the Alpha."

"Let me tell him. Call in about ten more guards if it isn't too much trouble. They were watching the party for some reason. I'll tell dad to warn the other packs."

He nods. "I'll make sure some of us guard the pack house tonight too."

"Thank you. Be safe tonight."

He bows his head for a moment and escorts me back to the pack house. When I get inside, I grab my phone from my room and go to another room to call my dad.

After a few rings, he answers. "What's wrong?"

"Before I tell you, take a deep breath and think clearly. Okay?" I say and pace back and forth.

"Okay. I'm going to put you on speaker." He pauses. "We're ready."

"There was an intruder at the border when I went back to get something that I had left at the party. There was three more, but they were hidden. I secretly called the guards and they ran away. I told them to call in about ten more guards and they are going to." I pause. "The intruder knew it was my birthday so he must have been watching the party earlier. Dad, I want you to warn the other packs that came to my party that there was someone watching us."

"Of course. I'll call the Alphas. Are you okay? He didn't come on the land right?" He replies.

"Yes. No, he didn't. He was right at the edge."

"Was there anything else that happened?" Mom questions.

"Emily found her mate." I state and stop pacing.

"I'll tell her congratulations when we get back. Try to get some sleep tonight. We will be there early in the morning. I'll make sure breakfast is ready for all of you." Mom replies.

"Okay. Love you both."

"Love you too." They both say and I hang up. I glance at the time and it's a few minutes past one o'clock.

I quietly enter my room and Emily is softly snoring on my bed. I smile and go into my bathroom. I do my usual night routine and then check on all of my guests downstairs. All of them are quietly sleeping. I double check that all the doors are locked and am about to go back upstairs when Dante sits up from the couch.

"Riley?" He whispers and I tip toe over to him.

"Go back to sleep. I'm going to bed," I whisper.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, now go to sleep. Okay?" I say and gently push him down on the couch.

"Fine." He whispers and closes his eyes. "Goodnight, Riley."

"Goodnight, Dante." I whisper and head upstairs. I decide to sleep in my parents bed so I don't disturb Emily.

"What a birthday," I whisper to myself and pull the covers up to my chin.