2) Trigger Words

Warnings: brief mention of an injury, brief mention of drug abuse (steroids), swearing, mention of porn, masturbation (male, brief)... and a slightly crack-ish humour I guess

⊱-◦-◦-◦-◦-◦-◦ ✉ ◦-◦-◦-◦-◦-◦-⊰

Bucky was acting strange.

Now Steve was aware that James Buchannan Barnes was a personality extraordinaire and everyone had their quirks, but Steve liked to think that he and Bucky knew each other pretty well.

After all, they knew each other since they had been kids. They went through tough puberty that for Steve consisted of trying and failing to grow some muscle and experiment with steroids because of his desperate need to get bigger somehow, until he realized he really had to go through loads and loads of workout, healthy diet, responsibly take medication for his conditions and be patient; for Bucky, it involved almost losing an arm when he wanted to impress some girls and was jumping from one freight car to another, earning an electric current burn that the doctors called a miracle, because an encounter like that usually meant amputation or worse and not only few scars over a whole arm.

Bucky had been there for Steve when his high school sweetheart Peggy decided to move to London for studies right after Steve's mom died and Steve had been there for Bucky when he came out to his parents about being bisexual. They suffered through college together, had enough luck to land a job at the same university because of a funds corruption scandal that had resulted in the half the history department being fired and now even shared an office.

They had been side by side for everything that came their way, best friends for life. They supported each other, talked shit one to another, witnessed each other's awkward phases, broke noses to their mortal enemies, walked each other home when they had too much to drink, everything.

Yet, Steve had never seen Bucky like this.

The history professor – an easy-going one, loved by students, yet still a well-respected professor – burst into fit of damn giggles whenever he met Steve's eyes and his shoulders kept shaking for hours now; a least whenever Steve saw him.

It all escalated during the lunch break, both of them enjoying their food from college cafeteria in their office, because the actual cafeteria was a cacophony of voices and clinks of cutlery and generally just a hell on Earth for ears.

"Hey, Stevie, say are you into professor-student roleplay?" Bucky asked out of blue and Steve inhaled so swiftly that he nearly chocked on his chicken salad, coughing loudly to clear his airways.

He stared at Bucky with tears in his eyes, face no doubt red from both the fight for air and the question.

"What the fuck, Bucky! I'm eating!" he sputtered, coughing some more and then soothing his throat by taking a sip from the bottle of water on his desk. Amusement was written all over Bucky's face as he watched Steve with a shit-eating grin. "You don't just ask that shit! Less so when we're in our office!"

At that, Bucky rolled his eyes and stabbed a piece of his beef, popping it to his mouth indulgingly.

"Steve, you gotta let that go. There are no bugs in our offices. Fury is a bit of a creeper but he's no spy."

It was Steve's turn to roll his eyes. For one, Steve had solid ground for believing that President Fury was indeed obsessed with checking on his employees. For two, that was really not the point he was trying to make. But since Bucky brought it up...

"Sure. It's not suspicious at all that Natalie Rushman was hired when the rumours started and left soon after Hammer was exposed for stealing Tony's designs."