Chapter 3

As Jonas finished his soup, he started thinking that this was all a mistake. He had been trusting this lady, and he had no idea who she was.
The lady had taken him to another room, that looked like the bedroom he once had.
"Who are you?" Jonas spat out. He couldn't wait any longer.
"Very well, I will tell you," she sighed. "Sit down," Jonas sat. "I am Miranda Wangler. You probably met my son, Brady?"
"Yes," Jonas said, "he said that I was from A Community. How do you know about my community?"
"I will only answer any of your questions, if you answer one of mine."
"What is it?" Jonas asked.
"What is your name?"
"Jonas," he spoke. "I'm Jonas."
"Well Jonas, this will be very hard for you to understand, and I will explain as best I can."
Jonas braced himself.
"A long time ago-"
"Back and back and back?" Jonas laughed. That was something he and the Giver shared. Back and back and back. Jonas remembered the Giver. How could he forget?
"Please don't interrupt."
"I apologize."
"As I was saying, a long time ago there was a war. The war was about how things should be ran, how peace should be kept. There were 5 different sides. One side, was to keep everything in control. Everything is chosen for everyone. Your community."
"What about the other communities? Are those people, that were in that room, are they from the other communities? Are any of them from my community?" Jonas asked with curiosity.
"Yes yes, I'm getting to that. Be patient," she warned. Be patient?! This lady has made him wait through a whole meal, plus 30 minutes, and tells him to be patient? Jonas found that unfair.
"So, throughout all these communities, there are few people that think they don't belong. They think there is more. They know there is more. Did you feel that way Jonas?"
Jonas thought. For a split second he almost forgot why he came here. Oh right, the memories. "Uh, well I just had to leave," he suddenly felt uneasy.
"Jonas, you are the only- well, how about I explain some more. As I told you there are people like you who feel they need to leave their community. So they do, and somehow end up here. Every single time."
"Why?" Jonas covered his mouth and remembered, he wasn't allowed to speak.
"Its okay," she sounded tired. Jonas felt bad he didn't care, again, he wanted answers. "Sadly, that I haven't figured out. Its been 4 years, I just cant seem to find the answer. Me and my daughter, Samantha, have traced their steps. They could have taken so many different paths, but they chose this one. All of them.
"So when they end up here, we care for them. They all are very sick and tired by the time they reach this place, and usually sleep for days," Jonas opened his mouth to speak but Miranda read his mind. "How long you slept for? A little under 5 days," she said. 5 days!
"Well where do they go when they are all better and rested? Where do I go?" Jonas felt that uneasy feeling again. Where is he going to go?
"Jonas, what was your part in your community?"
"Well in my community, everyone is assigned jobs. Mine was the Receiver of Memory. I held all of the memories of the past. The Giver-"
"You held all the memories! And you left?! Jonas, you have put us all in danger! They're going to find us!" Miranda left the room and told Jonas to stay where he was. Specifically to not move a muscle.