Ch. 4

Friday 8:31 a.m, Vegas

Flaming lightning was playing the drums while screaming inside of Mei's head as he began to awaken. With his eyes still closed dread began to sink in that he would need to open them soon and welcome in the morning light. Inwardly he groaned as he didn't dare actually do it, but even thinking the groan was too loud and he winced. Shattering the somewhat peace, Mei cracked open his eyes to a very welcome glass of water in one hand and some pills for the pain in the other. Practically bathed in the saintly light of day there stood KO looking down at him. Dressed, showered, and ready for the day.

With much reluctance, Mei slowly rose and took the offerings gratefully, "You are a kind man."

"Mmm."

Downing his supplies, Mei stretched and sighed, "This is not a good start to this weekend. I have let Nai and the rest of the team down. You were ready to stay in last night, but I let myself get the better of my judgment."

"Don't feel bad."

Mei tried his best to pull a smile, "Thanks, but I am feeling my punishment right now...and it still isn't enough. I'll shower and we can go out there and I will immediately begin our responsibilities."

KO grabbed his arm as he started to head towards the shower. When he turned to look at him he noticed the way KO was avoiding looking at him. The determination. The seriousness. Even a touch of guilt that lingered there. KO's voice was quiet and deep, "Do not feel bad. This trip..."

"What about this trip?"

KO kept his eyes and tone down, "This trip is a set-up. Xiao Nai has no interest in adding staff."

Mei went cold as his a foreboding confusion sunk deep in his belly and suffocated out any of his thoughts on his hangover, "What is this trip a set-up for? What do you mean? Are you telling me my best friends sent us here on a game?" when all KO did was nod Mei ripped his arm out of his hold and staggered back trying to force a laughing smile, "Its a prank. A prank on you or me." a realization dawned on Mei as the smile and laughter came naturally but the humor wasn't actually in it, "I see. You and me. They sent us here to get a good laugh at the newlyweds. Foolish Mei thought he was actually getting responsibility. Finally getting taken seriously. Wow. They got me good. I believed it. Sorry they dragged you in on it too."

"It wasn't that. They had better intentions. They were hoping to help."

"Help? Help us what? We don't need any help. Last time I checked we were good. Well apart from your flirting with that guy from last night. That threw me for a loop."

"That was what Nai was going for. Hoping to lead you to certain feelings."

Another stone crashed on top of the other in the very pits of Mei's soul as he kept that smile planted there, "Lead me to certain feelings? Oh ho! For I, Hao Mei, needs help being led to what I feel or don't feel. What about you? Was Nai plotting some sort of game plan to help you have some grand love connection?"

"I know how I feel. Everyone does. Its obvious."

The last of the playful happy-go-lucky Mei cracked as the smile sank and he felt like puppy who's owner had just spanked him for the first time, "I see. All of this has suddenly become very clear to me. All of you were so busy thinking 'KO loves Mei. KO loves Mei. But Mei is too foolish to see it.' that none of you once thought it could even be possible that Mei loves KO, but KO is too foolish to see it. Everyone else always takes me as the fool. But you got me. You understood. Except this time. This time you were just like them. Just like my 'big brothers' who will always see me as their foolish little brother. I can take care of myself, KO. I can code and program better than most people in this world. I may not hold a candle to the genius that is Nai or you, but I am smart enough to see that a man who hasn't even looked at another woman, or man, in four years let alone go out with one in living together for three...is probably in love with the person he spends most of his time with. You never even considered that with me did you? Did the others? Probably not. This whole time has always been KO loves Mei, but did no one stop and think Mei loves KO?"