Chapter 2

"I know I couldn't run fast, and I wasn't as clever as the rest of you are. But once I leave, I'll do my best!" Conny was in her adoption outfit, everyone wore it when they left the house, she clutched onto Little Bunny, "I don't wanna go! I want to stay here!" Connie started crying, "Conny, I'll miss you!" Don cried, Mum and Conny left the house to go to the Gate. We were cleaning and sweeping up for the night, "Little Bunny?!" I saw her on the dining table, "What do we do?" Emma runs up to me, "It's not too late, the lights by the Gate are still on and Mum hasn't come back yet," Ray walks in, "Then let's hurry you two," Norman looks at us, we nodded and sprinted towards the Gate. "Never go near the Gate or the Fence," We arrived, "Yeah I know, all three of us will get in trouble later," Norman smiles, "Conny?" I say gently, the three of us walked in, we saw a truck parked in the corridor, "Is this the truck that's gonna take Conny to her new home? I've never seen a vehicle in real life," Emma said, Norman looked at the drivers and passenger's seat while I went to the back of the truck and lifted the curtains, I gasped and thought I was about to throw up, "N-Norman, E-Emma..." I took steps back in fear, they came up to me and had the same reaction. Conny lied dead in the truck, her face was grey, she was half submerged in water with a red flower impaled in her heart, "Is someone there?" We heard a voice, the three of us flinched, "Hey did you hear voices just now?" The door started to open, Norman dragged me and Emma after him and we hid under the truck, "It's your imagination," Emma grabbed Little Bunny with us, "You eat those disgusting things?" We leant over, closer to the voices and my eyes widened in absolute terror, Emma, Norman and I held out mouths and bit down to make sure we didn't scream, we saw demons, they had long, sharp nails, their eyes ogling in every direction, he picked Conny up, his tongue reached out, their teeth razor sharp and steam was coming out from its mouth, "It looks so delicious, human flesh is definitely the tastiest! Damn, I wish I could have just a fingertip," He plunged Conny into some blue liquid in front of us, our eyes were in absolute fear, "Don't, it's valuable merchandise, definitely not something we are meant to enjoy, the human flesh from this farm is of the highest quality, only the rich can afford it," Another voice said, I looked at my hand in horror, "Where's Mum?" Emma asks, "Shh!" Norman quickly says back, "Another six year old, we've only been shipping out average once lately, but we'll be harvesting a few higher grades soon enough. They're all eleven, three of them, they've matured nicely however there's a fourth eleven year old, they're not as valuable, just look at their scores. They'll probably be shipped out next, right Isabella?" I leaned over and saw the face of the demon, it had two eyes vertically and a skull like mask, Norman, Emma and I almost gasped out in fright. Mum? "Yes," We heard her voice, "These three with full marks are made to be read for plucking. Send the average eleven, they can leave first, then we'll send three of the highest value to the higher ups," We heard the demon say, "Yes sir I understand," Mum says, "Hold on, I smell something," The demon walked closer to us, we knew we had to make a run for it.

We ran, as fast as we could back home, Emma and I collapsed, I threw up on the side, the memory and image of Conny's dead body and the smell of death loomed in my mind, I kept vomiting, Emma was hyperventilating, we both broke out in tears. "Welcome home, how'd it go?" Ray was holding a gas lamp, "We didn't make it in time," Norman said, the three of us trudged back to our rooms, "Have we been living here just to end up being food?" I muttered to myself, I was still trembling, everyone else was asleep, I ran to the bathroom to vomit again, the image plagued my mind, I dragged my feet back to my bed, I didn't sit on my bed, rather leant on the side of it, everyone else was asleep, "Hey, you're okay," I heard someone's voice and they put a blanket over the two of us, I looked up and saw Ray, I shook my head violently, "I'm not okay, C-Conny, dead..." I couldn't form proper sentences, "I don't want anyone else to die," I hugged my knees, I felt him hug my waist and pull me closer, "No one's gonna die, we'll find a way to escape," He says, "You know about this? When?" I asked him, "For a long, long time," He whispers back, I hugged his arm, "Please, please can we just stay like this for tonight, I don't think I can go back to bed, I... I just can't," I said quietly, he nods, "Sure, I wouldn't mind some company, even if it's from a three year old," He smirks, "Ray!" I whisper yelled, but he did manage to make my mind forget about the demons, the death, even if it was for a second, "Thank you," I leant on his shoulder and we fell asleep.