One might fight for happiness, but sometimes happiness fights for you.

The god of happiness frowns.

It's an unusual sight, something to worry about. He himself is surprised. It's not an expression he ever saw on himself. Despite that, he could feel his eyebrows furrow and his mouth twitch.

This was getting out of hand.

Normally, the subjects of his job embraced his wonders, they were hungry for it, starved even, and lapped on the attention he was giving them. Of course, they knew it was only a temporary peace. The subjects learned, that the god wouldn't stay too long, he couldn't. To many humans, gods and beasts were waiting for their dose of happiness. He was favored, loved and his arrival anticipated. He couldn't find himself complaining.

So this was a very rare occurrence. Sometimes it happens- subjects weren't ready for happiness yet, or they didn't want it. But this was a problem: A subject, that didn't think, he deserved happiness, even if he entitled it. The god's frown deepened. The human was on his list and he wasn't allowed to skip him for later. The god had to make this human as happy as possible. Happy enough for this human to acknowledge, welcome, and accept it. But the god could see, that this was going to be a piece of work. He looked through the records of this particular subject. He was fairly young, for a human anyway. Time wasn't something the god of happiness had to fret about- his work would go on for eternity. There will always be a subject, that deserves his attention.

But this human looked like a challenge. He went through a war- together with other young humans against someone, who might as well be dead. Cold eyes, conveying madness, and hate. The god shuddered. He felt uncomfortable, bringing this madman happiness. But it was his job and for a while, it worked. The madman believed the lie and was happy with that outcome. But he forgot that happiness doesn't last. He was defeated and cursed everyone in his last breath.

You are not the only one, who deserves my wonder. You cannot hold it for yourself. The god thought grimly and for a moment, the madman saw reason. But his life was too short to act on it.

After his death, the god was busy. Many humans on earth demanded happiness after being denied for so long. The god hurried to fulfill his tasks. Little moments of happiness the humans shared with each other, as they rebuild their home and mourned their lost ones.

It never gets easier, the god of death says, almost amused and the god of happiness musters him. His colleague was a feisty one and he never wanted to fight with him. He kept his thoughts about him to himself and the god of death appreciated the silence.

There are many, who find fulfillment in death and bringing it to others. The god of death says, after a long pause. Then he turns to the other and whispers then, Does it bother you?

The god of happiness almost laughs. We don't have morals as humans do. Death doesn't bother me and that is a burden only the immortal bear. If it brings happiness to them, as mortal as they can be, then this is the wish of the goddess of destiny. I know better than to meddle.

The god of death nods then, content. Many lives were lost this time. I have to move them soon. He says then and the god of happiness turns to him to smile.

Then I wish you a safe journey.

After his colleague leaves, the god resumes his task. This one human denied himself happiness, after the chaos he saw. The god was right. Death doesn't trouble him- he will never understand the sadness it brings. But he knows, that time will make it pass. Time makes it bearable, but one has to embrace it. This young human was avoiding everything. The god huffs. Leave it to complicated humans to make his job more difficult. He jumps from his tower and makes his way down to earth. He has to visit this subject, find the stain, that troubles his heart and find something to make him happy. Or someone, he mused and watched the humans life.