RQ 1

I smile at my mom in the mirror. She smiles back after she pulls my hair back. "You look beautiful, honey."

I'm wearing a long, olive green dress with a slit on the right side that goes up to my knee and the back is strappy and open. My mom picked out this dress to bring out my bright green eyes and tan skin. She paired it with tan heels, but as soon as I'm out of her sight I'm taking them off. I rarely wear shoes and prefer to go barefoot. Usually, I wear tshirts and shorts, but I do dress up when it's the right occasion.

Today is my 19th birthday and our pack along with a few of our ally packs are coming to my party. My parents along with most of the pack members that aren't around my age are leaving for the night, except for the guards to make sure we don't get out of hand or that no unwanted guests come and stir up trouble.

My mom and I walk downstairs to meet my dad. He gives his famous dad look and shakes his head. "I don't like it." He says sternly.

I don't look, but I know my mom rolls her eyes. "She is a grown woman," she says and walks up to him.

He frowns. "I don't like that we are leaving either."

"It's just for tonight. You could use a night off anyway." She says and wraps herself around his arm. My dad almost physically melts.

He shakes his head and looks back toward me. "If anything happens, call me and don't let any boys get near you."

"What about Dante?" I question.

"He's the only exception."

I nod and smile at him. "Have a good time with mom tonight," I say and hug him. "I love you."

"I love you too, sweetie." He says and grabs their bags. "The only people you are having over is Hunter and Zena's kids, right?"

"Yes." I agree and he nods. Mom pushes him gently out of the house and I follow behind them. They wave at me and say goodbye before getting into their car while I go in the direction of my party.

It's eight o'clock and the sun is beginning to show signs of the sunset. There is a bunch of outdoor furniture seating for my guests and lots of food. I'm the first one here besides the pack members who volunteered to serve food. I greet them after taking my shoes off and hiding them under a table and thank them for volunteering. I give each of them a hug and socialize with them until my guests start showing up.

Someone about knocks me down by giving me a running hug and I know there's only one person that would do that. "Hello to you too," I laugh and shrug her off of me.

She bounces up and down with a grin. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, QUINNIE!"

"Thank you. I appreciate my present of hearing loss."

She throws her arms around and smirks. "What are best friends for?"

"My turn," a voice says and clears his throat. I smile at Dante and hug him. "Happy Birthday, Riley."

"Thank you." I say and glance at his other siblings behind him. I smile and hug each one of them.

"Are you sure it's okay that we are here?" His little sister asks. Josie is sixteen and part fairy.

"Of course it is! If anyone has a problem with that, then I will ask them to leave unless they refuse." I squeeze her hand to reassure me. "You better tell me if someone says or does something to you or any of your siblings."

She nods and smiles at me. I smile back and give her a quick hug before greeting the steady flow of guests coming. A couple of guys from neighboring guys try to hit on me, but I politely ignore their remarks and move on to the next guest. One of my volunteers stands up on a table to let everyone know that the food is ready and we can begin to eat.

While I'm greeting guests Dante, pulls me aside after I finish talking to a girl I know from another pack. "You need to eat and then you can continue to greet your guests or I will make you a plate myself so you have to eat."

"Okay. Okay." I raise my hands in defense and head to the line of people getting food.

"Riley, this is your party. Skip the line." Dante says and I shake my head. He sighs and walks off.

Soon enough I get some food and find Dante and his sister to sit with. Dante and his other siblings are scattered in the large crowd. Once I sit down, two guys come up to me excitedly.

"Is it okay if we do karaoke?" One of them asks.

I contemplate the idea for a moment and I don't see how this could go wrong so I tell them that they can.

"Awesome!" They exclaim and stand up on a table. "Hey everybody! We are going to sing so if you know it sing along with us!"

They begin to sing I Want It That Way by the Backstreet Boys off key and loudly, but in a funny way. Everyone laughs, smiles, and some even sing along. Group by group my guests begin to sing and dance- just have fun and I enjoy it. By this time, the sunset is almost at it's most beautiful stage and this time I get up on the table. Everyone cheers and some cat call.

"Most of you don't know me all that well, but I just want to thank each of you for coming again. I chose this time for the party because of this," and I point to the sunset. "I wanted all of us to watch the sunset together. All of us are connected to nature one way or another. I know I'm not the only one who doesn't have a mate, but whether you do or don't, the sunset is beautiful either way. So, enjoy the sunset for the next few minutes."

People clap and turn to watch the sunset. Some whisper to others, some snuggle up with their mates, and some just simply enjoy the sunset.