CHAPTER 3

THE BASKETBALL TEAM HAD A FREE PERIOD. The team decided to have basketball practice to prep for the championships in two weeks. The team was warming up, while Troy and Chad stood off to the side, stretching.

"So dude, you know that school musical thing." Troy begins cautiously, Chad looking at him confused. "Is it true you get extra credit just for auditioning?"

"Who cares."

"You know, it's always good to get extra credit for college." Troy says, not even believing himself.

"You ever think that LeBron James and Shaquille O'Neal auditioned for the school musical." Chad retorts wondering what his friend is talking about.

"Maybe."

"Troy, look, the music in those shows isn't hip hop ok, or rock or anything essential to culture. It's like show music. It's all costumes and makeup, and oh, dude it's frightening." Chad shudders for emphasis.

"Yeah, I know. I just though it might be a good laugh, you know. The new girl is kinda cute too. I, uh, saw her looking at the sign up sheet, thought I could join to get closer to her." Troy explains to his friend, lying partially.

"Well, there are other ways to get closer to her. Talking, invite her to our games. Anything but singing in tights." Chad says to his best friend before heading towards the other players.

Troy sighs, before turning to the team, "All right, wildcats! Pair up!" The team pairs up, passing the ball, making rhythmic beat with their dribbling and the squeaks of their sneakers.

"Coach said to fake right
And break left
Watch out for the pick
And keep an eye on defense
Gotta run the give and go
And take the ball to the hole
But don't be afraid
To shoot the outside "J"
Just keep ya head in the game
And don't be afraid
To shoot the outside "J"
Just keep ya head in the game." Troy sings play a scrimmage game with his team.

"U gotta
Get'cha get'cha head in the game
We gotta
Get our, get our, get our, get our head in the game
U gotta
Get'cha get'cha head in the game
We gotta
Get our, get our, get our, get our head in the game
Come on
Get'cha get'cha head in the game
We gotta
Get our, get our, get our, get our head in the game
U gotta
Get'cha get'cha head in the game
We gotta
Get our, get our, get our, get our head in the game.

"Let's make sure
That we get the rebound
'Cause when we get it
Then the crowd will go wild
A second chance
Gotta grab it and go
Maybe this time
We'll hit the right notes." He sings causing his team to look at him confused.

"Wait a minute
It's not the time or place
Wait a minute
Get my head in the game
Wait a minute
Get my head in the game
Wait a minute
Wait a minute
I gotta
Get my, get my head in the game
You gotta.

"Get'cha, get'cha, get'cha, get'cha head in the game
I gotta
Get my, get my head in the game
You gotta
Get'cha, get'cha, get'cha, get'cha head in the game
Come on
Get my, get my head in the game
You gotta
Get'cha, get'cha, get'cha, get'cha head in the game
I gotta
Get my, get my head in the game
You gotta
Get'cha, get'cha, get'cha, get'cha head in the game.

"Why am I feeling so wrong
My head's in the game
But my heart's in the song
She makes this feel so right
Should I got for it
Better shake this, yikes!." Troy sings, thinking of Y/N's smile, her beautiful face, and her laugh. He shakes his head trying to focus on basketball with great difficulty.

"I gotta
Get my, get my head in the game
You gotta
Get'cha, get'cha, get'cha, get'cha head in the game
I gotta
Get my, get my head in the game
You gotta
Get'cha, get'cha, get'cha, get'cha head in the game.

"Come on
Get my, get my head in the game
You gotta
Get'cha, get'cha, get'cha, get'cha head in the game
I gotta
Get my, get my head in the game
You gotta
Get'cha, get'cha, get'cha, get'cha head in the game, whoo!" The team shoots their basketballs, cheering as they walk out the door, chanting.

"What team!?"

"Wildcats!"

"What team!?"

"Wildcats! Get your head in the game!"

Troy stands there, still conflicted if he should take a chance with Y/N. He just sighs before shooting the basketball in his hand, it going through the net, before following after his teammates.

...................................................

While Troy was in basketball practice, Y/N was in pre-calc, copying the notes the teacher was writing down on the chalkboard. She jumps when a voice starts talking.

"So," Sharpay starts, sitting across from Y/N, "it seemed like you knew Troy Bolton."

"Not really," she confesses, offering a smile at Sharpay as she explains. "He was just showing me around.

Sharpay laughs in disbelief. "Oh, well, Troy usually doesn't interact with new students."

"Uh, why not?" She asks looking at the teacher's work and her own, spotting a mistake.

"Well it's pretty much basketball 24/7 with him."

"That should be sixteen over pie." She says absentmindedly, looking at the teacher's work on the board. Taylor looks over her own work to see she was correct.

"Yes, Ms. Montez?" The teachers asks, having heard her.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Y/N says, but continues when her teacher motions for her to continue. "I was just—shouldn't the second equation read sixteen over pie?"

"Sixteen over pie?" The teacher repeats in disbelief, before looking down at her answer key. "That's quite impossible." She looks down and notices that Y/N was correct. "I stand corrected. Oh, and welcome to East High."

Y/N smiles softly while she finishes her equation. Taylor gets an idea, smiling from beside Y/N. Sharpay just huffs before leaning back in her seat, irritated.

..................................................

After basketball practice, Troy stops to look at the sign-up sheet for the school musical. He looks for Y/N's name to see if she signed up, sighing when he came up empty handed. He walks away before anyone could see him looking at the list.

Ryan Evans, twin brother of Sharpay, stood off to the side having seen Troy looking at the sign-up sheet. Walking over, he grabs his sister's arm as she walks by him, dragging her over to the bulletin board.

"Troy Bolton, was looking at our audition list." He reveals to his sister.

"Again?" Sharpay asks confused, "You know he was hanging out with that new girl, Y/N, and they were both looking at the list."

Ryan looks confused also.

"There's something freaky about her. Where did she say she was from?" Sharpay asks her brother but he wasn't paying attention causing her to groan, before walking away, Ryan running to catch up with her. They go to the library and discovers she was a brainiac at her old school. Printing her academic achievements, Sharpay smirks getting an idea.