"Well, that's an unsettling title," she said to herself as she sat down in one of the awful chairs. As she opened the book, she glanced at the pile, doing a double take at the next one.

Hogwarts: A History . It was a very old version, likely one of the very first editions. Aurora snorted, wondering how that particular copy had managed to stay in the Prince library. Nan must have charmed them so none of them could leave her possession, given the bibliophiles that ran in the family.

She returned her attention to Majiks Moste Heinous , flipping through the beginning, trying not to look at any of the illustrations for too long. She didn't particularly feel like reading every little thing and noticed that the magic of the potion was beginning to fade, so she flipped to the back of the book, then opened it to a page about a quarter away from the back.

.... would break away from the whole, sending itself into the object the caster/creator deems worthy of encasing it. It's recommended, of course, that once the soul is placed inside, that enchantments and protections are put in place to deter meddling with the Horcrux.

Once the soul fragment is placed within the object, it will remain as a tether to the world of the living, ensuring death will be avoided at all costs, so long as the object holding the soul fragment is not destroyed beyond repair.

"Beyond repair," she said aloud. "Yet basic spells.... But then, even most spells, the damage done could be repaired."

"Talking to yourself?" Nan's voice startled Aurora, and she closed the book, setting it aside. "Just like your mother, you are. Can't keep a thought to yourself."

"I can keep plenty to myself."

"I thought there was supposed to be at least another one more academically inclined," Nan commented, looking at the books.

Aurora shrugged. "He is, but since this is the first time any of them has had any real privacy in months, I can't begrudge him wanting to be with his boyfriend."

"Yes, I did figure that out fairly quickly. Sad, really, considering the ludicrous setup his father made with yours. I do hope now that things are so muddled, you two are no longer betrothed?"

Aurora tilted her head. "We never officially ended it. Though us dating other people is probably enough. Considering when our 'betrothal' took place, I was already seeing someone, I doubt it stuck."

"A Weasley," Nan said, drawing the name out in a way that made Aurora homesick for her father. "I do hope he's better than that ill-mannered troll currently eating enough food for three in my dining room. With his mouth open, no less."

"Much better," Aurora said, feeling her cheeks warm.

She felt Nan's eyes on her, and she took a deep breath, chewing her lip and trying to keep her face neutral.

"You love him," Nan said simply.

"I might," Aurora said to the books.

"Good," she said, and Aurora frowned at her. Nan was still looking at the books. "Love is something this family has always lacked. I was thankful when your father met your mother. That girl from across the river thought herself too good for him, and I don't think Severus would have ever willingly seen it if someone more suited to him hadn't come into his life."

"The girl across the river? Lily Evans?" she wagered. Her nan hummed in agreement. "That's Harry's mother."

"I'd wondered," she said, nodding.

They sat quietly together for a moment, and Aurora looked at the Hogwarts: A History sitting on the top of the stack.

"Stay a day or two," Nan said. "A week if you'd like. I know it can't be for the whole war, but you all looked wretched yesterday. Take some time to not worry about being spotted or hunted, rest, come up with a plan, and then set back out."