"Evidence of what, exactly?" Harry asked.

"That Albus Dumbledore was once a budding Dark Lord himself," Hermione responded.

She expected denial, she anticipated rage, but all she got was a stoic nod. "In what way?"

"He was very, very close to Grindelwald," she replied, "before his sister's death."

"We aren't getting into that now," Severus said. "Potter, if you want to learn more about the headmaster's sordid past, I'm sure you can find another time. But right now, we're dealing with his sordid present. He has chosen to die, and to do so by my hand."

The room was so quiet even Molly's knitting paused. She and Arthur looked at each other through the corner of their eye. Bill frowned. Harry looked terrified, and the railing obscured the majority of the children, so Hermione couldn't see their reactions. The twins went pale, and while (she guessed) George looked as though he wasn't sure he wasn't dreaming, Fred suddenly looked determined. Kingsley looked resigned, but Tonks just shook her head, face contorted in anger.

"Bloody hell," Ron's voice broke the silence.

"Wh-wh-what do you mean 'by your hand'?" Harry asked.

"Dumbledore wants Snape to kill him to cement his position as a Death Eater," Alastor said bluntly. "And to protect a fellow classmate o' yours from damaging his soul."

"Someone's a Death Eater?" Draco asked, shooting up from the stairs. "Who?"

"We're not going to tell you," Hermione said gently.

"Why not?" Harry asked incredulously.

"Yeah," Ron said, standing as well, anger twisting his face. "Why not? He's a Death Eater, ain't he? Shouldn't even be in the school."

"Because he didn't choose to be, Mr. Weasley," Severus snapped. "The young man in question found himself dragged before the Dark Lord and his arm branded without a choice. Now, shut up and let us explain. As you are a child of the Order, like the rest of you, we are letting you be privy to this information because by the end of summer, it is quite likely that the Dark Lord will have power over the Ministry."

"And Dumbledore is the only wizard powerful enough to stop him," Bill said.

"But Harry's the Chosen One," Aurora's voice was just loud enough to be heard. "Which is why we're hearing about this. Because if You-Know-Who is in control of the Ministry, then there will be nowhere safe for him."

"I dare say Grimmauld Place will be the only safe place," Minerva agreed.

"I can't stay stuck inside if Vold— if Riddle is in charge. If I'm the Chosen One, I have to stop him, don't I?"

The room was heavy once more.

"Oh, don't tell me there's something else we don't know," Arthur groaned, exasperated.

"I'm afraid there is," Severus said.

"This is about...." Leo's voice trailed off as everyone turned toward him. "This is about that thing, isn't it? The Horcruxes?"

"The what?" Harry said.

"How much has Dumbledore shown you of the Dark Lord's past?" Severus asked.

Harry slowly came down the stairs. As the twins shifted to let him pass, Aurora, Ginny, and Leo stood to get a better view. Harry looked at Sirius, and Sirius gave him a proud fatherly grin as he nodded, encouraging Harry to speak.

"He's been showing me memories. Not all of them are his, he collected some from other people." Harry frowned thoughtfully. "Actually, now that I think about it, he showed me a ... a memory, but it felt wrong. Horace Slughorn's?"