—————S—————

January 9, 1996

The second day of "teaching" went far better than the first. He still saw Aurora, Ronald, and Ginny moving their lips as they cast, but their reaction times were much quicker. He was sure, given time, the three of them would stop the habit.

He left them at Grimmauld Place to Floo back to the cottage, alone and tired. He moved from the mantel to the sofa, barely remembering to magic off the soot before falling onto the cushions.

"They're children, Severus," he heard Hermione say behind him.

"You forget, witch, that the twins are of age and on the cusp of their magical maturity. And there are seven of them against one of me. This is supposed to be my vacation."

"No one is making you teach them but you," she reminded him as she set the tea tray on the coffee table, transfiguring a napkin into a teacup. As Severus looked at her with amusement, she shrugged. "Didn't feel like going back to the kitchen."

"And you couldn't summon it?" he asked as she began to pour.

"I am not risking summoning a cup from the cupboard, especially not one of my favorites, thank you," she retorted, handing him a cup before making her own. "Are they improving?"

"Of course they are. George Weasley even managed to knock my wand from my hand."

"But not Fred." Hermione chuckled.

Severus smirked. "I'm quite sure he was doing his best to show that he learned the lesson without actually getting in a single hit."

Hermione smiled as she settled back against him.

They sat quietly, sipping their tea, enjoying each another's company. It had occurred to him how little time they'd spent together these days. He then realized he hadn't heard his son, someone who was very likely to have come running at the sound of the Floo. Slowly, he leaned forward, setting his nearly empty cup on the table. He snuck a quick peek into Hermione' cup, seeing she was almost done, and then Vanished the whole thing.

"Hey!" she protested, though obviously quite curious as to what he was up to. He then leaned toward her, forcing her against the arm of the couch before taking her mouth with his.

She giggled against his lips, though she reciprocated all the same. His name on her lips changed from incredulous and humored to husky and pleading.

And then the front door opened.

"Mum! I'm—"

"Stuff off and head upstairs!" Hermione called, tensing beneath him.

"But—"

"Use the Floo in the study and go prepare Dad's gift at Uncle Sirius'," she nearly shouted, her voice cracking.

"Brilliant!" Leonidas shouted back, and Severus listened as he heard his son's footsteps fade. A moment later, there was the sound of the Floo.

"My gift?" he inquired.

"Yes, he's your son, I'm sure you can figure out what it is."

"Mm, potions ingredients harvested from the woods. I still have pine bark from last year."

"He means well," she said, toying with the collar of his frock coat.

He smiled wickedly at her, grabbing her wrist gently and pinning it back. "Is there something you're wanting, wife?"

"I'm fairly certain you're smart enough to know the answer to that," she said, stretching to kiss him. He considered toying with her, dragging it out, playing, but recalled all too swiftly just how long it'd been. And it was his birthday.