"You are very deep in thought today," Severus observed, and Hermione startled, looking up at him and then their surroundings. They weren't in the Great Hall anymore, but a quarter way to the Defense classroom.

"I suppose I am," she replied, shaking her head, trying to clear the thoughts racing in her head.

"Lupin," Severus said with a cordial nod and a suspicious eye. "Breaking off from the pack, are we?"

Hermione saw him stiffen, and she cringed at just how accurate Severus' words were. He didn't suspect already, did he?

"Yes," Remus replied. "I wasn't ... thrilled with the breakfast conversation this morning. Or many of the mornings lately, actually."

"You should come hang out with us!" Lily piped up enthusiastically, clutching his arm. "I'm sure Hermione would love it."

"Would she?" Severus ground out.

"Well, she is kind of a third wheel with us," Lily said, and Hermione blushed. Yes, third wheel. Right. Because she really needed that reminder.

There was another Hogsmeade weekend coming up, and Severus hadn't mentioned going with her again. She wondered idly if perhaps she'd misunderstood the closeness they had developed for something more. He didn't push her off or say she was too close in the hospital wing after his accident, and he didn't seem to mind her holding his hand. Or stroking his hair. But he hadn't said anything afterward, when he met her in the library. Or at all. She certainly hadn't gotten a hug since September. Maybe he truly meant to spend time with her in Hogsmeade as they had during the summer: as friends.

"Nothing I'm not used to," Hermione said, offering a self-deprecating smile at Severus' frown.

"Well, I've often felt like a third wheel with James and Sirius, even a fourth. As long as no one minds, I'll feel right at home with you three."

"Thrilling," Severus said, shifting his bag as they headed for the staircase.

They were quiet as they headed to Defense class. As some of the first students to arrive, Hermione and Severus both gave Moody a nod as they took their seats, which the professor returned. They had managed only two more Occlumency lessons since Halloween, and while Hermione didn't feel she was making much progress, Severus was excelling. The nod, while a sign of a deeper level of intimacy than Moody had with most students, was also a show of respect from the Auror.

Remus sat in the row behind them, where the rest of the Marauders would join him when they made their way to class, but he sat behind Hermione instead of putting the usual three seats between them. Hermione gave him a quick grin before taking out her books. As she did, she noted Lily beaming at her, grinning broadly and twitching her eyebrows from Severus' other side. Hermione's nostrils flared as she quirked an eyebrow, not nearly as elegant or expressive as Severus, but Lily still laughed as though she'd just heard the most hysterical joke.

People began filing in and Moody watched them all with a critical eye. When the Marauders came in, laughing and goofing off, those sharp eyes narrowed and followed them.

With everyone settled, he took in everyone in the room. "Why are the Dark Arts considered Dark?" Moody asked gruffly.

"Because they're used by slimy gits," James replied. Sirius and Peter chuckled as he grinned smugly.

Moody snorted, but did not smile, and said nothing.

"The Dark Arts were named because of their nature," Severus said.

Moody's gaze shifted to him, losing their cold gleam. "Why are they Dark in nature?"

"Because they are meant to cause harm."