Chapter 3

Hot cocoa/l.h-chapter 3

My parents didn't live too far from my apartment building, so going for a visit wasn't a difficult thing to do. They lived in a beautiful condo in the midst of the city; it was very modern and geometric, much different from the home I grew up in. Not long after I moved out, my parents decided they didn't need such a large estate. They quickly began looking for condos in the city, near my apartment. They hadn't been living it in long, but it was already home to them, and a second home to me.

I quickly paved my way up the front steps, ringing the doorbell only once because I knew how much of a nuisance it was to my mother when people incessantly rang the doorbell.

Immediately, I met the comforting face of my mother, Laura. It was plain to see that my mother was a beautiful woman, and she looked fairly young for her actual age of fourty-seven. Though she was the woman who gave birth to me, we looked nothing alike. She had medium, softly styled mousy brown hair and almond-shaped olive green eyes. The only thing I did inherit from her was my petite height, considering I'm only 5'2.

My mother flashed me one of her award winning smiles, showing off her incredibly white teeth.
" Hi, honey. It's nice of you to drop by. Come in?" She swayed her hips on the way to the cashmere white sofa.

I quickly shut the front door as I followed my mother into the living room, hanging my coat on the rack as well.

" So what brings you here? Got any juicy gossip you'd like to share with me?" She chuckled, as she tuck her chocolate strands behind her ears.

I couldn't help but laugh at my mother's lingo. Even as child, she was always a firecracker. It was nice to know that even though people do change, some things of their character do stay the same. My mother's amusing sense of humor was one of those lucky things.

" Well, not necessarily. But my day was pretty interesting, I guess." I got comfortable on the sofa, propping my elbow up on the arm rest.

My mother's eyes immediately perked up. " Really? Spill! You know how I love a good story." She beamed.

" Oh trust me, I know." I chuckled.

" Anyways," I cleared my throat," today was quite a long day for me. It was also a bit weird."

I made my best attempt to not to sound nervous about my next statement.

I cocked my head, trying to be as nonchalant as possible." Hey, do you remember Luke?"

" Hemmings? Of course, Honeybun. He was your best friend when you were little. His family was just lovely." She sweetly sighed, probably thinking of all the memories we shared with his family.

"Yeah, him. I think I saw him today, at work..." I fumbled with my fingers, avoiding eye contact with my mother. My cheeked were probably insanely flushed right now, and that wouldn't help in my case of keeping my cool.

Almost instantly, she raised her groomed eyebrows. "What? What happened? Did you say anything?" She scooted closer to me, intrigued by what I had just spoken.

I sprung up from the sofa, now pacing around the living room. " No! Why would I? I don't even think he recognized me."

She let out a warm chuckle. " Ah, dear. That's why you should have said something."

" Psh! What would I have said?" I scoffed, " you know, just ' oh hi Luke, it's me, Marissa. Sorry I left you without any good explanation, seven years ago! So how you've been?' Yeah, that sounds about correct."

" Marissa! I get that you're still beating yourself up about it, but it was seven years ago. It's time to let it go." She frowned.

" But mom, it was all my fault. I was too afraid to say anything and it blew up in my face. It's not like I'm ever going to see him again, so let's just drop it." I countered.