4

I just kept following the overall direction of the crowd, hoping that it would lead me somewhere I recognized. I saw Professor McGonagall amongst students, and tried to reach her before she wandered off. I kept bumping into people, the occasional "Hey!" being thrown at me, before stumbling upon a familiar auburn-haired face. "Persephone! I can't believe we're officially Hogwarts students now, can you believe it??" I managed a smile and tried to ask for directions to the Slytherin common room, but she interrupted me when she saw two red-haired boys coming her way. "Meet my twin brothers, Fred and George!" 

Both boys had long ginger hair, and moved so similarly that it was near impossible to tell them apart. "A pleasure!" they approved in unison, while Hazel giggled. "Uh...nice to meet you, could you tell me which way is the Slytherin common room?" I half pleaded until Fred, or George, well one of them, told me which way to go. I thanked them and rushed off in the direction they pointed in. 

After a while, I reached a gloomy part of the castle, where the corridors were draped with dark green banners, and the windows were covered with emerald velvet curtains. It felt like home. I reached an long stretch of corridor, with no sign of a door. "Fuck," I muttered, "I don't know the password." I tried saying some random Slytherin-related sounding words, but I was met with silence. I paced up and down the corridor, getting more and more tired by each passing minute. "Snake! Serpent! Salazar! Fuck this castle!!" I was so preoccupied of thinking of passwords that I didn't hear the footsteps coming towards me. A low voice rung through the corridor, cutting through the silence, startling me, "pure-blood" it said. I turned around, and there he was. He looked different than I remembered him. More rugged looking, taller than me, his hair was wavier and lay slightly past his ears. His eyes were the same steel, piercing eyes I remembered, the corners of his mouth upturned. He was wearing all black, an emerald ring on his left hand, and a headboy badge on his blazer lapel. I met his gaze. 

"Draco?"

"Hello, Seph." He smirked before embracing me. "You've changed."

"I could say the same for you, you've-"

"Seph, you look hollow. Have you been taking care of yourself?" He sounded genuinely concerned, which caught me off guard. I wasn't used to this part of him. I took a step back and gave him an empty smile I hoped he wouldn't see through. "I'm feeling better every day. More importantly, care showing me around the castle?" He laughed slightly before ushering me back up the dungeon stairs I had come down. "Nice badge, didn't know you were head boy. Might want to watch your back or I'll be coming to take away your spotlight by becoming head girl." "Still the same Persephone I see," his tone was playful, but cold, he didn't like to have to get competitive. "Careful or I'll leave you in one of these corridors without telling you how to get back." "I wouldn't do that if I were you," I retorted coldly, "let's not forget where I stand now." Draco lowered his head slightly, yet smirked, "I heard you brought Nagini with you. Are you going to be terrorizing the first years?" I laughed, "More like anyone who gets in the way of what I want." "Spoken like your fathe-" I gave him a sharp look before he could finish his sentence. 

We walked a while in silence before he spoke up again. "How have you been really, Seph?" 

I didn't answer and kept walking. I didn't like anyone prying into my mind, and I feared that if I told him the truth I'd break down and he'd see me as weak. 

"I'm worried about you."

"I'm the best witch you know, don't insult me."

"That's not what I meant-"

Two boys and a girl walked in front of us, stopping when they saw Draco. The girl had bushy brown hair, one of the boys was ginger, and the other wore glasses and had a scar on his forehead.