Welcome to the Cirque

The more they discussed the idea, the more Elena and Darren liked it. Mr. Crepsley said that the Cirque performers would know what they were, and they'd be accepted as one of their own. He said there was almost always someone around their age. They could hang out with them.

"What if we don't like it there?" Darren asked.

"We hit the road again." Mr. Crepsley shrugged. "I enjoy travelling with the Cirque, but I am not crazy about it. If you like it, we'll stay. If not, well then we'll go."

"Good plan." Elena said with a mischievous smile, "Short, simple, easy to remember."

Steve and Darren both laughed while Mr. Crepsley shook his head muttering "Children."

"So they won't mind us tagging along then?" Steve asked.

"You shall have to pull your own weight." Mr. Crepsley replied. "Mr. Tall expects everybody to do something. You three are no exception. And of course, you two will continue your vampire training with me in the evening." He aimed the last sentence at Darren and Elena.

"So where is the Cirque?" Elena asked.

"I do not know yet, I have to track Mr. Tall's thoughts there."

"So he's telepathic?" Darren asked remembering what Steve had said the night of the show.

Mr. Crepsley shook his head. "We can not speak to each other per say. However I can track his aura." Mr. Crepsley then sat in the middle of the church and closed his eyes. Not even a minute later, they snapped open again. "Got him." He said.

That fast?" Elena asked incredulously.

"I have searched for his aura many times." He replied, "Easy as finding a needle in a haystack."

"Isn't that hard?" Darren asked.

"Not for a vampire." Mr. Crepsley said. As they were packing too leave, Darren kept glancing around at the church. "What is it?" Mr. Crepsley asked startling Darren.

"What?" Darren asked jumping.

"Ask me whatever is on your mind." Mr. Crepsley said.

"How did you know I wanted to ask something?" Darren said surprised.

Mr. Crepsley smiled, "It hardly takes a vampire to figure out something is on your mind. What is it?"

Darren thought for a minute. "Do you believe in God?" Elena's head snapped up to her father's face at this, wanting to hear the answer.

"I believe in the gods of vampires." Mr. Crepsley said shortly.

"Vampires have gods?" Steve asked, crossing his arms across his chest.

"Of course," Mr. Crepsley said. "Every race has its own God or gods. Vampires are no different." He shrugged.

"What about heaven?"

"We believe in Paradise, it lies beyond the stars."

"Like Neverland?" Elena asked.

"What is Neverland?" Mr. Crepsley asked curiously.

"Never mind." Elena said quickly. "Continue."

"When we die, if we have lead good lives, our spirit floats away from earth, to the other side of the universe in Paradise."

"What if you lead a bad life?" Darren asked.

"They stay here," Mr. Crepsley said. "Bound to earth, wandering as ghosts."