"Make sure you put this in your memoirs, Ptolemy," Craterus sniggered, eyeing Hephaestion

Hephaestion looked on, his expression inscrutable.

Alexander had taken to wearing the white Persian robe, diadem, and sash

Alexander had taken to wearing the white Persian robe, diadem, and sash. He dressed his companions in purple-bordered cloaks and his horses in Persian harnesses. Hephaestion was in charge of his business with the so-called barbarians, while Craterus held fast to the native Greek and Macedonian ways and criticized Alexander for adopting the oriental lifestyle. Alexander did not disconsider Craterus, for he often said that "Hephaestion is a friend of Alexander, but Craterus was a friend of the king."

When Alexander kissed Bagoas, however, Cleitus looked on in disgust.

"A toast to Bagoas," he proposed scornfully, "and to the thirty thousand beautiful Persian boys we're training to fight in this great army. And to the memory of Philip, had he lived to see his Macedonians transformed into such a pretty army." His sarcasm was heavy.

When the barbarians started groveling and kneeling before Alexander, he had enough.

"If I ever kneel down like that to any man, Crateros, kill me," Cleitus spat later on in the evening.

Hephaestion suppressed the urge to roll his eyes.

"Have another drink, Cleitus," he implored the already drunken man.

Cleitus scoffed.

"Shouldn't you be bowing to the king?"

Hephaesion flushed, falling silent.

Alexander intervened then, trying to diffuse the situation. But Cleitus shot back that he refused to be a sycophant, like Hephaestion. Alexander felt anger rise like a volcano inside him. This man who attacked him now attacked Hephaestion.

"How can you, so young, compare yourself to Heracles," Cleitus demanded of the king.

"Why not?" Alexander retorted. "I've achieved more in my years. Traveled as far. Probably farther."

"Heracles did it by himself! Did you conquer Asia by yourself, Alexander? I mean, who planned the Asian invasion when you were still being spanked on your bottom by my sister? Was it not your father? Or is his blood no longer good enough?"